Broadband Router Smoking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
anytime non-moving electronic parts make a pop.....

uh yeah i would say that come under the realm of NOT normal...

Electronics use smoke to work, once it's out you can be sure it's broken...

Maybe some capacitor discharged or overheated when u plugged the power in or something. You sure ALL functions of the router work?

I'd return it & get a new one If it's still under a warranty of some kind, Ya never know.

this happened to me last night...my room smelled like burnt soter for hours. i was using a linksys router/wireless/4-port switch v.2, but i went out and bought a v.4...it seems to be more stable, too.

however, i can't blame linksys for this one. while trying to set up the v.2 router, the directions told me to unplug it and plug it back in. i plugged in the wrong plug -- 12v DC instead of 9 or 6 or whatever was SUPPOSED to go in there. oops.

When I first read your original post, I though that's exactly what your problem was. One time someone in my house put the 9v dsl modem adapter into my 6v router, and the 6v router adapter into the dsl modem. Believe it or not, the modem worked perfectly, but the router kept overheating and only one port worked. I figured it out before it was too late, and we have a happy ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom