pentium 4 vs M

Status
Not open for further replies.

heffer

In Runtime
i never knew why they say pentium M technology is better than pentium 4s. my laptop is 1.6ghz pent M and the guy who sold it to me said it's equivalent to a 2.6ghz pent 4. i asked why and he told me bcuz it has twice as much L2 cache. this happened a year ago, but now they hv pent 4s with 2mb cache also. so does that mean a 2.26ghz P-M is as fast as a 2.26ghz P-4? maybe even slower since it has a slower fsb. so what's the real secret behind the processor? why is pentium M so much more expensive, besides the obvious reason "more mobile"

As the name sugests, it has different technology. I would have said your processor is nearer a 2.8/3.0 ghz P4 due to the same reason as AMD's. They have shorter pipelines, so can do more calculations per clock, thus being more efficient. It also uses less power so saves on batter life.

Do some searches for more info.

Dell has actually started to use high end pentium M cpus in their XPS notebooks instead of P4's. All the reviews Ive read say this has greatly extended battery life and extremely lowed internal temps, while still maintaining good performance.

I normally dont like dell, but I like this idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom