Building a machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calibretto

In Runtime
Hello guys. I'm compiling a list of my next PC and have question on the video card and if it's good enough compared to everything else. I'll also take any other advice.

AMD Athlon X2 4400 Dual Core processor
G. Skill 1GB DDR400 PC3200
Maxtor or Seagate 250GB 7200RPM SATA HDD
NEC 16x Dual Layer DVD+/-RW Drive
ATI Radeon 9550 256MB video card

That's my main setup. I have other stuff like a modem added on.

Dude, drop the Radeon 9550. That's not even last generation, thats the generation before last generation cards. The graphics card will drag that system DOWN!!! Get the Nvidia 7900GT intead!

thats not that better than a 9550... dude, downgrade the cpu a little and spend actual money on a video card... the way your thinking of building this, its going to drag that system down to hel|_ and bring you with it.

Static is right. Get the Opteron 165 (a little nmore than the x2 3800 but has 2x 1mb l2 cache) and a 7600gt. Pair it with a Dfi Ultra-d Mobo abd you can overclock past 4400 speeds on stock voltage (mine hits 2.53ghz no problem).

wait wait.. he didn't say this rig is for gaming. if this was purely for gaming then yes, maybe he should downgrade the cpu and get a better vid card.

but maybe he only does mild gaming.. in that case then the 6600gt is ample!

calibretto: first of all, which motherboard do you have? the 9550 is agp only. if you're gonna be buying new parts make sure you get a motherboard that has a pci-express slot, NOT an agp slot.

the 7900gt might be out of your budget, so check the 7600gt. if thats out of your budget then get the 6800xt or 6600gt or the x800gto.

the opteron 165 is a great idea, but i would only consider this option if you're willing to overclock...

Yup downgrade the processor to X2 3800+ or Opty 165, up the video card to a 7600GT, which is 100 dollars more, and possibly upgrade to 2GB's if you can afford it seeing the X2 4400+ is 500 dollars and the X2 3800+ is 300, so that's 200 - 100 for video card, leaving you an additional 100 to upgrae to 2GB's so i think it's possible :D

Well I'm not gonna be doing any hard core gaming. Just every now and then I'll be playing some games. I think thats a good idea to downgrade the processor a bit and spend it on something thats worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom