usb devices no longer assigning a drive letter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mickahcs

Solid State Member
Hi

This is a problem iv tried to resolve (without formating) for some time.
windows xp pro sp2 machine is no longer assigning drive letters to usb mass storage devices drivers are installed and disk management is reconising the drive is connected, if i manually assign the drive a letter it still will not appear in my computer or even via a run statement (ie. start-->run e:\ ) the only way iv been able to access the drive is to assign it a drive letter , right click on it in drive manager and select open the first time i do this it gives an error ( drive inaccessable) then is i do it again it opens and shows me the files (with no path in the address)

iv have tried the followiung things to resolve this problem

sfc /scannow
reglaze/upgrade windows xp pro
created new profiles
used hidedrive to hide/unhide all drives
unistalled all usb related drivers in device manager and reinstalled

What are your drive letter assignments? HD, CD, network? I've had an issue before where I had A: C: D: E: F: (network).......I had to change F: to something else to free up F: and it found my flash drive. I guess it looks for the next available non-network drive letter and tries to assign it to the USB device.

Do you have the correct USB Drivers installed? Are they up to date? Id it just with flash drives or with anything hooked up to USB? Do you have the plug and play options turned on for USB Devices?

Reply to black_ws6

c: (local disk) d: (cdr) e: (dvdr) it makes now diffence what drive letter you assign it, it still won't show my computer i have come across you problem before. Thanks for you input

Reply to Makaveli213

all drivers have been removed an re-installed with latest version (where possible) legacy support is enabled in the bios as is all other related bios settings, it not an issue with the device being reconised in windows, this works fine and you can safley remove hardware.
This happens with all usb devices that require a drive letter allocated ie: mass storage devices, card readers ect.

sorry for the late reply iv been away for the weekend

I appreciate your help on this matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom