Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hack

Beta member
I bought a system that is what I would call the last one I'll ever need, (right!) but as I'm putting some of my old stuff in it I came upon a problem. I have on one IDE1 slot two hard drives. One master & one slave. On IDE2 I have a DVDROM (set as a master) and put on an old smaller hard drive that has some info on it that I would very much like to access. I hooked it up with the same ribbon as the DVDROM and set the jumpers on it as a slave. The CMOS recognises it as being a secondary slave but when I boot it up into XP I don't find the drive. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

Still need help!

I set ther pin on the DVDROM as "Master" (it was already) and set the old hard drive I'm trying to install to "Slave" This is on the same ribbon leading to the IDE#2 slot on the motherboard.
THe funny thing is, in the CMOS it shows as a secondary slave but when I boot up the Windows XP it doesn't seem to find it in My Computer or Windows Explorer (my personal favorite). Thanks for your reply.

did you plug the ide connectors properly? (blue to the motherboard,grey to the slave drive , black to the master drive) , do you see it in *device manager*? , the file system of that hd is windows compatible? (fat16/fat32/ntfs) , try the hd standalone (unplug the ide cable from the dvdrom)

Control panel/Admisinstrative tools/disk management/ Does the HD show up there? Let me make a suggestion: I gave up runing HD's in secondary IDE channel as I had the same problem as you are now experiencing and simply bought a USB enclosure for my extra data hard drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817182035

I just bought two of these and they are awesome. It takes some strain off your PSU, as well!!!

Still needing help!

jeremy said:
did you plug the ide connectors properly? ......... Yes
They can only be plugged in one way to be correct

(blue to the motherboard,grey to the slave drive , black to the master drive) , do you see it in *device manager*? .......... I looked, it doesn't show up in the Device Mgr.

, the file system of that hd is windows compatible? (fat16/fat32/ntfs) , try the hd standalone (unplug the ide cable from the dvdrom)
............ It is compatible as it has a copy of windows 3.11 loaded onto it along with some oither very important dada.

I unplugged the DVDROM and it comes up that way. I can get into it and manipulate it. In fact I'm thinking of dropping the DVD ROM for a while and copying the contents onto a larger drive (D Drive) and forgetting the whole thing.

Thanks for your help.

Still wondering why!

RicoDirenzo said:
Control panel/Admisinstrative tools/disk management/ Does the HD show up there?................ No it doesn't.

Let me make a suggestion: I gave up runing HD's in secondary IDE channel as I had the same problem as you are now experiencing and simply bought a USB enclosure for my extra data hard drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817182035

I just bought two of these and they are awesome. It takes some strain off your PSU, as well!!!
............. Thanks for your input. I'm thinking of dropping the DVDROM and copying and pasting the contents onto my D-Drive. Plenty large. That way I can manipulate the info and still have a back u8p copy. Amazing what a good night sleep will do for you.! :eek:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom