CPU upgrade, dual processor or opty 165?

Status
Not open for further replies.

meat_helmet

Daemon Poster
Hi, Im thinking of upgrading some of my stuff soon (cpu, ram etc.), even though i dont really need too, however, i will have the money and well, why not. Anyway, seeing as though i have a pretty reasonable Athlon 64 3500+ (venice), i was thinking if it would be worth getting another one and putting them both on a dual processor motherboard.

The other option is to get an Opteron 165 and use my existing M/B. Anyone had any experience with either option? I wouldnt mind some more power for games and i also do 3D work so i need it for rendering (very cpu intensive). If its really not going to be that much more powerful, i might wait for the AM2.

At the moment i have:
Athlon 3500+ (venice)
939 Dual Sata2 M/B
1GB Geil PC3200
2xSATA 80GB Seagate Raid0
400W PSU
7900GT

Opinions?

BTW, are opterons multipliers are locked?

Considering that you have a great CPU already, you should wait a bit longer on the upgrade. That CPU should last you a good while, but regardless, I'd wait for Conroe and get new RAM, motherboard, and the CPU. That's my take, because I don't see upgrading from a 3500 to a 165 as being a justifyable upgrade.

I believe the multipliers are locked from rising, but you can lower them.

I'm with NathanM on waiting, but idk about actually gettin the Conroe, inless you want to, but you could wait a couple of weeks for the AM2 to come out and theres ur chance to get ur hands on a good s939 CPU. Prices on the s939 should drop but if your gettin the 165, invest in a good heatsink (or watercooling).

Ur 3500 will kick opty 165's azs on single-threaded programs so u going to loose perfomance on thoses apps u running. Stick and that 3500 and wait until the amd and intel come out then make your desicion.

efd753 said:
Ur 3500 will kick opty 165's azs on single-threaded programs so u going to loose perfomance on thoses apps u running. Stick and that 3500 and wait until the amd and intel come out then make your desicion.

You do know people don't buy the opteron 165 to use it at stock settings right? Opteron 165's OC to 2.6 ghz easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom