Opty 165 vs. 7900GT

Status
Not open for further replies.

gurusan

Golden Master
I have about 300 to spend....monarchcomputers is having a sale on the 165.....270+4 shipping...**** good deal.

Right now I have a AMD3200+ @ 2.4, 2gb ram at 240mhz, and an OCd 6800GS (502/1247) and games skip on high (q4 at 1024x768 with AA on, and Tomb Raider Legends skipped when I had the shaders on)

I'm just wondering if I should get the CPU and wait for the nVidia 8 series to come out? When is it coming out BTW?

I heard in June. I'm waiting for it to come out. The next geb ATI series I believe are coming out next January. I'd get the CPU if the 8 series comes out in June. But if I stand corrected and it takes longer than upgrade the card now.

..and 274 shipped is a good deal?

Would I be better off paying 350 or so for a stepping with a good reputation or should I gamble and pay 274 shipped for who knows what stepping?

If I can get it to 2.5-2.6 I'll be happy....not much faster than what I have now...but it has 2 cores and 2mb cache. :)

I agree also; get the 165. AM2 is not showing good signs as of now, and it'd take a full motherboard AND RAM upgrade to get an AM2 or Conroe. With the 8 series coming out soon, I think it would benefit you more in the long run to go ahead and grab the 165.

The graphics card it the way to go in my opinion. unless you cane that opty165 you won't notice any improvement in your system performance but the 7900GT would give you a massive performance boost in games compared to the 6800GS.

However if you want to play the waiting game for the next gen cards you may as well get the opty in the mean time, just dont expect those games to run much better.

MrCoffee said:
The graphics card it the way to go in my opinion. unless you cane that opty165 you won't notice any improvement in your system performance but the 7900GT would give you a massive performance boost in games compared to the 6800GS.

However if you want to play the waiting game for the next gen cards you may as well get the opty in the mean time, just dont expect those games to run much better.

I agree if were u i would get the Graphic card since games rely more on the graphic card then the processor, buying an opty 165 is gonna be a stepdown since it runs at 1.8 compare to 2.0 in the 3200. Unless u consider running alot fo apps at the same time an important thing, i would go for the graphic card.

I would go with the 7900GT. Graphics > CPU when it comes to gaming...

The next gen cards wont even be able to use their full potential until DX10 and vista comes out which wont be for another year. So the 7900GT will let you smooth sail till then on ultra high settings :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom