Hard Drive Problems (I Think)

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertconley619

Baseband Member
I think this is in the right place. Anyway about a month ago, I partitioned my Hard Drive so that 150 gigs would be Windows XP Home Edition and the other 80+ gigs to be Windows XP 64 Edition. Well Yesterday I formatted the Home Edition side because it got plagued with viruses from Limewire. Now here is the problem: When my computer boots, it doesn't detect the XP 64 partition and moves on to boot into Home Edition. However In Windows, it detects the XP 64 Edition. I have upgraded my bios to see if this would help, but unfortunatly it didn't. My system specs are posted below if it helps anyone:

AMD Athlon 3200+ socket 939
Biostar NF4ST-A9 motherboard
1 gig of value ram (I think it's Corsair, i'm not sure)
250 gig WD sata 150 hard drive
Dynex 5.1 soundcard
evga 6600 256 mb video card

download attached text file , goto start-->run-->notepad c:\boot.ini and delete all and copy & paste from the text file & save

Attachments

• doc.txt
    295 bytes · Views: 41
theres no connection whatsoever to the bios , there never was
did you copy & paste from the text file? or just copied paste before i edited the message and added it? i added it cuz it didnt paste well

assuming you did use the text file it should have worked fine , if you have 1 hard drive and the XP HOME is in C: and X64 in D: that is , if thats not the case then give some more details

I used your text file and I have 1 Hard drive and XP Home is C: and X64 is D:. But here is something I thought about. When I did this a month ago, XP Home was C: and X64 was E: because my DVD burner was D:. But now the burner is E: and as I said in the first sentence, Home is C: while X64 is D:. Could this be the problem?

[boot loader] timeout=30 default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS [operating systems] multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Home" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional x64" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Also the message said "Invalid Boot.ini, Booting into C:\Windows"

Interesting...........
Using the recovery console I was able to set up the partitions but when i tried getting into X64, I got the following message:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
Please reinstall a copy of the above file

I wonder how that happened.......anyway I added the boot.ini below jeremy in zip because the attachment thingy didnt like it as a txt for some reason

Attachments

• boot.zip
    319 bytes · Views: 4
download attachment , unzip and run and click "install" , it will replace the boot.ini with a good one , if it wont fix the ntoskrnl issue then put in the x64 cd and boot into the recovery console , and do
expand x:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ d:\windows\system32 , before doing it better run a search on the x64 cd for ntoskrnl.ex_ cuz im not sure its in the same folder on the x64 edition , x = cd drive letter..

Attachments

• bootfile.zip
    49.4 KB · Views: 6
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom