windows vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

cangi

Solid State Member
i need help if anyone has any ideas please post this is my situation I use windows xp pro withsp2 as my operating system i have a partition on my drive and i tried to install windows vista build 5342 on this partition but windows vista was corrupted and it was only a partial install. I cannot delete it how do i get rid of it it does not show up on the drive i cannot find any vista files to delete it dosent show up in the boot.ini what happens is when i boot my machine it gives me a message saying that there has been a fatal system error and that my file is corrupted. then i can hit enter and it gives me a screen with two options my windows xp pro or windows setup(the setup for vista) i select xp pro and it loads up fine and im good to go but that is rediculous someone must know how i can get rid of this without formatting...pls help me

Gotta Love the Beta system.

You will use the power of linux! Download Gparted it's an iso file so burn the image to the cd. It is an exact look alike of partition magic and can do all it's functions as well using Linux under a open GPL license. Delete the windows vista partition and boot into XP and perform a check on the boot.ini you cannot find vista in the boot.ini because it uses an entirely different boot loader last I checked.

????

that gparted program was crazy its a little beyond me asks me a bunch of stuff i dont really know then said there was fatal error thanks for the post could you walk me through it a little more

download Gparted

burn it as an iso >>> try google or search alcohol 120%

pop that newly burned cd

it will load linux and other technical stuff just hit enter

you are now using a very great program to manage hard drives and partitions.

g parted asks me a bunch of stuff like my keymap and screen depth i dont know the answers to theese questions so i just hit eneter anyways on whatever is already highlighted and in the end of things it says fatal system error no screens found

Insert your XP Disc and use the recovery console. Once in the recovery console use the commands Fixboot and fixmbr. That should get rid of the 2nd boot loader that Vista installs.

thanks for all the posts guys i formatted last night all problems solved

Tyler1989 said:
but your still left with a partition containing old vista files aren't you?

Yes you would be left with the Partition with the Vista files but since you already have the XP disc in you could just continue on with the install and them format that partition from the setup disc. After it formats then shut down. Restart the system with only XP as you OS.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom