Computer not turning on

Status
Not open for further replies.
most mobo's have a little green LED light, that's always on, as long as power is hooked up. if it's not on, then it's PSU related, or the mobo itself is fried.

insurance ?

try finding out which part is causing the problem. try swapping out the PSU with a spare one, and see if that works. if it does, see if you can get a refund or replace the broken one, through the manufacturer. if u cant figure out what's wrong, i dunno...

Get what fixed? You should just get your PSU checked and if it doesnt work send it back and get your money back. Also it looks like an Antec True power II 550 watt would be better then that. Even though its 680 watts it only has 30 amps on the 12v

Cheers. I've e mailed the people who I bought the psu from a few minutes ago so I'll post what they say sometime soon. It's brand new so I don't see why I shouldn't get my money back.
Thanks.

The psu has a 12 month warranty and they will let me return it. I hope to get a refund and get a better psu from somewhere else. Does anyone know how I can test to see if the psu is the problem, bearing in mind that I don't have a spare psu.

Hang on..........(1)pull the mobo from the case and place it on an anti-static bag. Plug in the power supply with the heat sink/fan and the CPU installed. If you get the mobo to power on then you can start from there(you will need a power switch pulled form an old case or you can just look for the power LED to come on).. I'll explain what to do next if nothing powers on.....swap in another power supply. If nothing....you have either a bad mobo or CPU. I would also pull the heat sink and CPU from the mobo once it is removed on the anti static bag and make sure you didn't bend any pins during the install. (2) If the board powers on (LED or CPU/fan if you have a scavanged power switch) replace the mobo in the case and see if the heat sink and or mobo LED lights come on. If they do and you get a bunch of CPU beeps your in realy good shape now. (3) Start adding components starting with mem and the video card and continue until post fails and you have the culprit. It sounds to me, just from your description, that the motherbooard is bad. Intel CPU's are very rarely DOA and that PSU is rarely bad as well. Pleae let us know what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom