AGP/Graphic Card Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norvegia

Beta member
I got a MSI 651M-V Motherboard with a Geforce 6600GT 256MB AGP Graphic Card. The graphic card have worked for about 2 months until today. I was playing a game (World of Warcraft) until my screen suddenly freezed. Then I restarted, started up the game again and the same thing happened again after about 5 min. But then when I tried to restart, my screen stayed black (Like if it wasnt connected to any computer). So I tried to use my geforce card on a different computer and it worked fine. And the AGP slot seems un-damaged on my computer. So I tried to format my whole computer, installed Windows XP again but still, no respons when I connect the screen cable to my geforce card. My screen works on the integrated video card, and the wierd thing is that the computer detects that I got the graphic card in the agp slot, because whenever I inserts the graphic card in the agp slot, the screen wont turn on but whenever I remove my geforce card, the screen works fine with the integrated one. So im stuck here without any clue on how to solve this problem. I mean, it all worked until my screen freezed, and boom, my graphic card doesnt work anymore in my agp slot. Any suggestions?

The drivers were already updated. And I cant try to update them again since I cannot connect my screen to my geforce card because my screen stays black (turned off) whenever I try to start the computer with my screen connected to the geforce card.

Maybe your power supply is either giving it to much /too little power. Post what kind of power supply you have here and the total amount of watts it has

Its a 650Watt power supply. About the volt i says "12 Volt TFT Screen power connection", "110/220 V Switchable" on the lable. I bought it for about 1 1/2 month ago and it has worked fine until now. The store I bought it from said it would work fine. But they may be wrong?

If it was a store like Wal*Mart, disregard anything they tell you, however if the store was a well known computer store, then I would trust them. As far as the power supply goes, if the power supply has another connector, try using that one, If it doesn't, then you may have a faulty power supply.

the power supply is the *most* important part of your computer, and you should spend accordingly. getting a 700W alliance power supply or some other lightweight, low price brand will end in disaster ( first hand experience)

i would recommend either antec, or silenx. antec is known as the leading and most reliable brand, but they are extremely expenive

1) anyone in any-store selling you anything... the majority of the time %98 of the time.... they are either lying or do not know what the **** they are talking about. So chances are, no the person at the store was lying/making it up.

2) just the fact that its a 600watt PSU and judging by the rest of your specs... skt 478, DDR266, agp 4x, 6600GT.... then i assume the 600watt was pritty cheap... witch means its a realy good chance that is the component at fault.

3) a cheap branded 600watt psu will perform worse then a Good 350watt PSU. your system doesnt require more then 350watts, but i guess you may as well get a 450watt, such as this one for example --> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104954

EDIT: also keep in mind, the 600watt PSU might have been what caused the issue (or not who knows) but the AGP slot on the motherboard might be permenatly disabled due to the problem or defect... so getting a new PSU alone may or maynot solve your issue... may as well see if you can barrow a PSU and test your system out first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom