512Mb dual-channel or 768Mb regular?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zero Shift

In Runtime
Hi all, it's been awhile...

Anyway, I got a Kingston value 512Mb dual-channel PC3200 set from a friend recently, and my old Crucial 256Mb PC3200 stick has just been lying around in its case.
Always eager to boost my computer's performance, I couldn't help but wonder whether the extra 256Mb RAM would give a better performance jump than just going to dual-channel.
Also, there seems to be no clue anywhere as to whether i'm even in dual-channel mode, so in the case of not being in dual-channel mode, the extra 256Mb could only help.

So, I have two questions:
1: 512Mb dual-channel or 768Mb regular DDR?
2: how can I even tell i'm in dual-channel mode?

I may be wrong, but I beleive that the dual-channel will still work if add the extra ram in. As long as you keep your ram you are useing in dual-channel mode in the slots designed for that you should be alright. Of course if i am wrong someone on here will correct me.

for dual channel to work each channel has to be equal. two 256 modules could work in dual channel but 3 could not. one 512 modules and 2 256 modules could, however, be used in dual channel mode. as for what is better, i dont think dual channel provides much increase in performance. i would use 768 mbs

Zero .... There's no differance in the the PC3200 modules(Crucial n' Kingston) u have.Both are standard 400Mhz memory modules.

There's no special Dual channel memory ... It's how those modules are mounted on the board which determines if the memory works in dual channel or not.

Look in to the mobo's manual to check what slots u need to have the memory modules inserted in. Also check what type of Ram u need to use for dual channel operation (i.e Double-sided or Single sided)

As far as i know i don't think u can use different sized modules together to operate in Dual channel

Finally ..I guess u'll wanna know the differance in performance..between dual channel operation n' normal operation

This post by Micro says it all

To quote a friend, "RAM is RAM". In other words, dual-channel will improve the speed of the system, but the extra 256mb of RAM would be better to use. If I had the choice, I know I would use the extra RAM rather than using less of the dual-channel. The mobo I'm thinking of getting supports dual-channel, but I'm just going to go with a single stick of Mushkin 512mb of RAM (mostly because it's a little cheaper than getting two sticks of 256mb and I'm really cheap haha).

Now that deadguy mentioned it ... i realised that in anycase ..ur memory would only run at 333 FSB ..since ur processor the 2600 xp+ runs at 333

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom