Installing RAM for the first time

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattd

Baseband Member
I have searched this topic on google and have a very good understanding of what to do. But my main concern is static and frying my motherboard. A static wrist band is recommended, but if i stand on a rubber shower mat, would that be sufficient? I will also unplug my computer, monitor, mouse, and keyboard. Are there any other recommendations that you guys can give me?

thanks

thats perfect, and maybe a little overkill. BUT, I guess you can never be too cautious.

man, i've installed ram on the carpet without an antistatic wristband on before :D with long hair. but, if you want to be SUPER careful, don't do it on carpet, do it on an elevated surface, don't wear socks, hold your hair back (if its long). the way to install is push one end down untill it snaps into place, and then push the other end down untill that end snaps into place. it may seem like your using too much force but its fine.

You can also just touch the the outside of your metal case to discharge any static electricity before you work on the inner electric parts.

I installed my RAM and all is good.

Is there any downside to having 2-64MB sticks with 1-512MB stick?

if he has 2 64 chips its unlikely he'll have a socket 939 board

but intel boards have dual channel as far back as socket 478, right? thats conceivable..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom