Failed to Load Operating system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erdrickk

Solid State Member
I am sorry for the lack of information..I am at work and I cant remember..I will explain the best I can.

I have the same problem as this person did...

http://techist.com/showthread.php?threadid=5548&highlight=failure+to+load+operating+system

I reformated the HD and did an install with Win XP Home edition SP2 and after it formats and installs the files it reboots and it gives me the error "Failed to load operating system"

I took the HD out, put it in another computer and installed win XP and it works fine...I put it back in the original computer and BOOM...same Error.

Its an AMD..I think the MOBO said 3100a Pro..

It has 256 MB of DDR400 Ram. with a 40 GIG Maxor HD and a 350 Watt Power Supply.

Now I also Disconnected each piece of hardware one at a time and tried the installs and it doesnt work..I tried removed the Ethernet Card, Then the Modem Car, Then the Floppy Drive Etc...

Like I said, there is a good copy of Win XP that works in my other computers on this Hard Drive, but as soon as I install it in the problem computer it gives me a "Failed to load operating system" error....

Should I just replace the mother board?

the bios identifies the hd incorrectly , provide the mobo model and ill tell you how to make it identify it correctly

where do I find the Mobo Label...the only Labeling on the MB is on top of the FAN over the Processor and it says 3100a Pro

Maybe I will try looking a little harder LOL

you need to look on the mobo itself , although you can probably see it in post or somewhere in the bios

ok when I get home I will post the motherboard type and hopefully we can get this fixed.

I assume if I buy a new motherboard that is a $$ quick Fix?

i wouldnt get a new one , its a waste of money , theres nothing wrong with the current its just a bios setting issue

I will get the model later tonight after work...

One more question. This HD previously Had Windows 2000 On it...Often it would freeze, reboot itself etc...

I thought it was a corupted OS. Thats why I tried this reformat / upgrade to XP.

I have also excluted overheating.

Anyways, question is why before could it boot up Windows 2000, but not XP?

Do Bios settings have different effects on different OS's?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom