For a computer with 2gb, It doesn't feel...2gb'y

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonsayers

Baseband Member
I used to have 1gb PC2100 Ram

I then decided to upgrade to 2 GB PC3200

1gb of 3200 alone should of been an improvement over my slower 2100 as far as I know, but 2gb should be even better

It's been a couple of months now, and to be fair, I can't really notice much difference, and the past few days even, my load times have been WORSE than when I had 1gb 2100 ram.

My specs
________
2.52ghz
2gb 3200 ram
Radeon x800xl agp

People in games, especially world of warcraft have been loading up before me. I've definately seen a decline in performance so I really don't know whats going on.

For 2gb of ram , for 2gb of 3200 ram! I'm not really impressed, I might as well of stayed with my old 2100 ram, which ironically I got better load times with.

Why'd you think that this is the situation?

pehaps its bad ram, do memtest on it, and then defrag your HDD and do a scndisk, that should help

Sounds more like the motherboard and/or CPU. Certain boards can only run at PC2100 speed max, no matter what the RAM is.

It also depends on the FSB of the CPU. Even if you have a board that can run PC3200, if the FSB on your processor is say, 400Mhz, it's only gonna run as DDR266. My guess is that's what's happening to you, that it's running at the same speed as your old RAM.

Post the brand and model of your board, and give more info on your CPU.

Is there a detailed spec program which tells you detailed information about each component and their capabilities, I know I've had a couple before, but their names escape me.

right clock My Computer and go tp properties. that will confirm the amount of RAM you have.

also, having 2GB RAM, you should disable paging file.

to disable paging file:
right click My Computer
-> properties
-> advanced
-> settings (performance)
-> advanced
-> change (Vitual Memory)

after that, your system should be using your RAM only, not paging file. that should speed things up

apokalipse said:
right clock My Computer and go tp properties. that will confirm the amount of RAM you have.

also, having 2GB RAM, you should disable paging file.

to disable paging file:
right click My Computer
-> properties
-> advanced
-> settings (performance)
-> advanced
-> change (Vitual Memory)

after that, your system should be using your RAM only, not paging file. that should speed things up

I can't tell any difference

If anything, games actually stutter :eek:

I haven't seen stutter since the 512mb days

As already stated, my guess is that your motherboard doesn't support PC3200, so it is probably under-clocking it to match.
Do you know the make & model number of your Motherboard??

Also, what kind of background processes do you have running when you get these kinds of problems?? AIM, xfire, P2P software, browser windows? Have you scanned for viruses and ad-ware?

I play WoW on my rig (listed below) and I am IN the game about 15 seconds after clicking the shortcut on my quicklaunch bar... By in the game, I mean logged in, character loaded, running around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom