Paging File

Status
Not open for further replies.
i remember reading that applications should be designed for systems with a page file so you should keep it enabled.

But i ran without one for a while and didnt notice a difference.

yea, i turned it off and i havent noticed a difference but the system recommends a certain amount so it made me wonder

technically the pagefile is used as virtual ram when the entire physical ram is in use , considering you got 2gb thats unlikely to happen , so your better off with it disabled

i had it off with 1 gb ram and it ran fine til I was doing something, i cant remember what it was but it was asking for more vm so then i enabled it

well, i was wondering if it should be left on incase the ram was fully utilized but i doubt that there are many apps that would

guess ill just leave it off

~thanks guys

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_memory

The term "virtual memory" is often confused with "memory swapping" (or "page/swap file" use), probably due in part to the Microsoft Windows family of operating systems referring to the enabling/disabling of memory swapping as virtual memory.[citation needed] In fact, Windows uses paged memory and virtual memory addressing, even if the so called "virtual memory" is disabled.

In technical terms, virtual memory allows software to run in a memory address space whose size and addressing are not necessarily tied to the computer's physical memory. To properly implement virtual memory the CPU (or a device attached to it) must provide a way for the operating system to map virtual memory to physical memory and for it to detect when an address is required that does not currently relate to main memory so that the needed data can be swapped in. While it would certainly be possible to provide virtual memory without the CPU's assistance it would essentially require emulating a CPU that did provide the needed features.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Page_file

I would be careful about the paging file system. Reason I say this, is because if you ever want to format your HD, windows or DOS whatever wont allow you and you'll get a message saying that your "drive is in use". I did this, and I totally forgot about me paging the file on that hard drive so I was like running around all angry on why I couldn't format. So just don't forget if you ever want to format.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom