memory upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

djk2450

Solid State Member
this may have answered before, but i can't find it anywhere.....please bear with me.

can pc 3200 ddr be used in place of pc2100? i have an older gateway with an intel 845pt motherboard that uses pc2100 memory. i would like to upgrade the memory to 1gb without spending a lot ( i am a disabled vet who has to do things as cheaply as possible ). i know that memory is backward compatible if like memories are used; everything the same except for the pc____ number. will it work going back several generations? tigerdirect has pc3200 1gb on sale for $50 and that is a pretty good price. thanks for any replies. Peace and God bless. dan

POW/MIA.....never forget, never again!

thanks for the reply

first, to magouster: i was hoping that was the case. my computing needs are simple and i don't require the blazing speed of gaming and video. i understand about the speed being dictated by the motherboard; i just need the capacity for a decent price. i have used the pc3200 in a pc2700 motherboard without any apparent problems and i can save some dollars going to the pc3200. thanks again for the reply.

now, to aliasaid: it is a shame to have to ask "which war". it seems as though there is always another one, doesn't it? i spent 19 months in vietnam in 70-71 with the 9 inf div and 1 cav div. dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom