Adding ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shutzstaffel

Beta member
Hey guys,

I'm just wondering, I already have DDR RAM in my computer and I have PC-100 RAM from my other, would it work if I add the PC-100 RAM with my DDR?

Do you have dual channel in your computer now, or is the RAM you are trying to add dual channel?

Also, what kinda motherboard do you have? You have to find out if it's compatible.

Hi guys,

I have a slightly similar question. Right now I have 1 gb (2x512) of Kingston Hyper x and Im thinking about getting another 2 gb. I was wondering if I would have to get rid of my old ram to install the new sticks. I have a newish Abit SLI mobo that takes DDR 400.

Thanks

No you wouldn't have to get rid of the 2x512MB but you should because if you don't your ram wont run in dual channel and besides 2GB is MORE than enough for most stuff.

And would it be really bad for it not to run in dual channel; wouldnt 3 gb total be really sweet (even if the new 2gb sticks were from different company, etc that the older sticks?)

No you wouldn't have to get rid of the 2x512MB but you should because if you don't your ram wont run in dual channel and besides 2GB is MORE than enough for most stuff.

2*512 and 2*1GB is dual channel ram cough

Anyways 2GB's is enough, sell your 2*512, and buy a decent pair fo 2*1GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom