Very Serious Problem with my comp. Serious Hardware Problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zyzyoro

Baseband Member
Okay, I'll tell as much detail as possible because I would really like to know what the problem is.

Here are my specs:
1GB of RAM (2 512's)
3.40 Ghz Pentium 4 Processor
ASUS Motherboard
200GB Hardrive
Windows Professional w/ SP2
128MB Graphics Card
(ask if this isnt enough)

A week ago, my computer was working perfectly fine. As i was opening My Documents, my monitor screen pixelized and my computer froze. I re-booted up Windows and when I got into the logon screen, I saw the pixelized screen again and my computer froze. I repeated this 3 times, then I booted Windows in safe mode. When I got to the logon screen everything was pixelized so oddly. It was like: I the right half of my screen was on the left and the left half was on the right. My computer didn't freeze however. I was still able to makeout where my cursor was, and I logged in. Everything was still pixelized and half parts of the screen on opposite sides as mentioned earlier. I plugged in my external hardrive and was able to backup most of my data, although it was very difficult to navigate. At some points I saw two cursors. The reason I wasn't able to backup all my data was because my computer suddenly froze then the screen went black. (I had already backed up my most important data.) I turned off my computer manually and turned it back on after waiting a few minutes.

After I turned on my computer, nothing was appearing on my monitor except the "monitor not connected symbol". I checked if there was a problem with my monitor by testing it on my parent's computer and it worked fine. I tested my parent's monitor on my computer but it didn't work. I then concluded that there was a problem with my graphics card. - It most likely overheated.

I purchased a 256MB Graphics Card, and replaced it with my old one. I turned on my computer, and nothing came up. I then, turned on my computer again, and it was working. I saw my BIOS screen. I then attempted to re-install Windows Professional. However, into the setup it froze when it said, "Setup is starting up Windows". I waited 2 hours for the screen to change, so I figured it froze. I rebooted manually, and tried again. I repeated this over 20 times, each with a different result. Sometimes I was able to get further into the setup than other attempts. I also couldn't boot from my C: Drive because it said it was corrupted. I gave up. I waited till the next day. I booted my comp and I realized that now my comp is freezing when I get at the BIOS screen. I can't get past my BIOS screen. F8, F2, TAB, etc. WON'T WORK. However, there is a rare occasion I was able to at least get into my BIOS setup, but freezing after I try to boot from my Windows XP disk.

So, right now I'm posting this in the hopes someone here can help me. My conclusion is that something else in my computer must have overheated or malfunctioned.

What could have been the problem.

jeremy said:
what graphic card is it exactly?
whats your psu? brand/model (look on its sticker)

the psu or mobo are likely at fault , check mobo for bad capacitors (and i suggest youll use a flashlight , so you wont miss something) see examples
http://home.earthlink.net/~doniteli/index27.htm
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=195

it was a nvidia graphics card. what's psu? power supply? and yeah, im sure there's something wrong with my mobo.

also, where on my moboare these capacitors located? everywhere?

by *exactly* i meant which , like geforce 6600 for example , also i meant the current one not the older
yeah psu = power supply unit , its on most of it

what about answers to those 2 questions? and again regarding the graphic card i mean the GPU model not wether its nvidia/ati

wait. i have new info.

the graphiocs card might not have even mattered.

i was recently able to bootup my BIOS and i looked over all my devices. It had a list of IRQ's, Serials, etc. It said so\me were just recently installed, and I know I didn't evem touch them. And I also noticed that some of my devices were missing. Does this mean my mobo for some reason cannot access all the devices?

to be honest without a picture & mobo model i really cant say much about it

what about those 2 question ^? its really hard to help without answers

jeremy, he said the thing was a geforce 6600,as for the power supply he didn't say. However I think I may have figured out the problem with the video card. I think you may have a faulty connector with the card and your monitor doesn't like it. As for the motherboard problem, answer Jeremy's question so we can figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom