Oc'ed Opteron 165 vs Fx-60

Status
Not open for further replies.
Green Radience said:
True Dat :)

An overclocked Opteron 165 will perform exactly like a stock FX-60 (which can't be overclocked much anyways).
ummmm....the fx-60 overclock like crazy. your almost guarenteed around 3.0ghz when you overclock one.

Lol, even a heavily overclocked 165 would last far beyond what anybody would keep a processor for. Mine is at 2.8GHz and I am keeping it until the next-gen intels.

Thats why Optys have such a good BANG FO YO BUK

I hope to get my opty at 2.6...I will be exceptionally happy with that

sorry....I was watching BET :p

wtk pro l said:
ummmm....the fx-60 overclock like crazy. your almost guarenteed around 3.0ghz when you overclock one.

You might want to become more experienced before making such bold claims. The silicon used to make the processors is very much the same. The only difference between the Opteron 165 and FX60 is the clockspeeds that they run at. The FX60, at it's stock 2.6GHz, is such a hot processor that its frankly stupid to overclock it very much. 3.0Ghz is hard with a Opteron 165, not many get past the 2.8/2.9 mark. It was the same sad tale with the FX-55 and FX-57. So hmm...buy a $1011 processor that runs at 2.6GHz and overclocks to 2.8GHz...OR buy a $325 processor that runs at 1.8Ghz and overclocks to 2.8GHz.

:rolleyes:

Lord AnthraX said:
Thats why Optys have such a good BANG FO YO BUK

I hope to get my opty at 2.6...

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if you easily reach 2.6. Of course, nothing is guaranteed when it comes to OC'ing.

What is your stepping?

An Opteron is amazing, it can be overclocked to 3GHz fairly easily if ur experience, 003 got his to 2.85GHz on air cooling, just get soem Phase Change cooling, or Water cooled, or Peltier, and u can go past 3 GHz, no? but then again u need good ram, DDR500.

john3 said:
An Opteron is amazing, it can be overclocked to 3GHz fairly easily if ur experience, 003 got his to 2.85GHz on air cooling, just get soem Phase Change cooling, or Water cooled, or Peltier, and u can go past 3 GHz, no? but then again u need good ram, DDR500.

Err 3.0 GHz Easily...yeah if its a 180...:rolleyes:

It all depends on the stepping and week.

003 has one of the best Wire management and Cooling Iv ever seen....CPU cooler is a Big box of coldness while his vid card and even Mobo are fitted with Copper...that guys got a serious cooling...

I agree opterons are nice and all...but with Socket 939 ending this year and AMD pulling the plugs on Socket 939's you better hurry if you want one....

You can easily ebay specific steppings of 165's that go 3.0GHZ+ the problem is getting it to 3.0GHZ. You need a nice motherboard and nice ram. Not to mention a very expensive cooling system.

I had an "ok" stepping of the Opteron 165 (I returned it), OCZ DDR500 Gold Edition ram, a pretty nice copper heatsink, and of course my POS motherboard, the An8-Sli from Abit. The opteron only hit 2.2 at 1:1. The motherboard refuses to run with a memory divider unless the FSB is at 200MHZ which basically kills the point of using a divider. It was a bit of a waste to buy another motherboard with Am2 out and Conroe around the corner, so I just returned the CPU.

john3 said:

The cooling would cost more than the processor if you decide to go water or peltier. If you go phase change, the cooling is going to set you back around $1000 by itself, lol. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom