Deleting files ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ambercelery

Solid State Member
Hi
I have a PC running Windows XP. For the past few years, I've had no problems adding music files (either downloaded legally, or taken from my bought CD's). I have stored these in my Shared Folder under Shared Music so they are accessible by both myself and my girlfriend.

However, I have recently wanted to delete all of these music files and have found that no matter what I try, I cant delete them.

I have tried all of the following with no luck:

1) Clicking delete (and other combinations of deleting the folder/ dragging to bin etc)
2) I have made sure the file properties are not read only
3) I have tried to delete from the dos prompt
4) I have installed both WhoLockMe and Unlocked 1.8.1 - both of which do not delete the files on startup like they suggest they will do.
5) I guessed it must be something else locking the files - so i have even rebooted running from a bootable Linux CD - incase it was something Windows was doing on start - but even this wont allow me to delete the files

The windows error message I get is the usual "Access is denied" window box. but i still get this when i have no other applications open and the file open for read/write access

Anyone got any suggestions?

Mostly, mp3 but I have some WMV files, some Avis and mpg's.
All the files in the shared folder seem to be locked by something but whatever i try, doesnt seem to unlock them.
I cant find out any more info. Nothing seems to be actually locking them, I can play them with Windows Media player fine - so they are not corrupt. Windows Media player isnt locking them either.

Have you try deleting single files from the folder? If you could move the files do it and move it to another folder and then delete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom