Napster Vs. Itunes Vs. ......?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i guess you'd be able to keep it on your mp3 player forever, as long as you never want to connect it back to your pc

Frank Jaeger said:
So when your subscription to napster ends you can't listen to the music anymore? How can they stop you, come and take away your MP3 player? lol I mean once its on your hard drive, cd, or mp3 player what can they do to stop you from keeping it?

First, you can use napster with the ipod if you are buying the music. You would download napster but not take a subscription. They call it Napster Lite. You would have access to 30 second clips and would need to purchase to transfer to your mp3 player. Now the ability to use the music after the subscription ends is ended. The technology used is called DRM (Digital Rights Management)--Google it. There used to be some work arounds that allowed the conversion to a non DRM format. However, they have become quite intelligent as there no GOOD workarounds yet. The most popular way to bypass it is using a program called Tunebite which is bascially the same as recording something off of the radio. Some argue the quality is bad but I have tried it and it doesnt seem bad. The last post states that you could leave it on tyhe mp3 player forever. However it basically has a time stamp and will expire and force you to connect the player to the PC which will renew the "lease." I use the subscription $9.95 and can listen to the music on up to 3 computers or convert using tunebite and have the mp3s to use anywhere.

evelmunkey said:
First, you can use napster with the ipod if you are buying the music. You would download napster but not take a subscription. They call it Napster Lite. You would have access to 30 second clips and would need to purchase to transfer to your mp3 player. Now the ability to use the music after the subscription ends is ended. The technology used is called DRM (Digital Rights Management)--Google it. There used to be some work arounds that allowed the conversion to a non DRM format. However, they have become quite intelligent as there no GOOD workarounds yet. The most popular way to bypass it is using a program called Tunebite which is bascially the same as recording something off of the radio. Some argue the quality is bad but I have tried it and it doesnt seem bad. The last post states that you could leave it on tyhe mp3 player forever. However it basically has a time stamp and will expire and force you to connect the player to the PC which will renew the "lease." I use the subscription $9.95 and can listen to the music on up to 3 computers or convert using tunebite and have the mp3s to use anywhere.

if you have the time, get an old version of winamp (5.07 and before) and the output stacker dll and you could convert all of them. that what everybody use to do with napster, before they made winamp fix the problem

That was one the things that worked. Even if you find the old version it will not work anymore. They actually fixed the DRM of the wma file so none of the old tricks work. If you have this working I would love to try it out (let me know where the winamp is, maybe you could send it to me).

evelmunkey said:
That was one the things that worked. Even if you find the old version it will not work anymore. They actually fixed the DRM of the wma file so none of the old tricks work. If you have this working I would love to try it out (let me know where the winamp is, maybe you could send it to me).

I haven't tried it in a couple of months. pm me

i don't trust giving out any information to a site like that though... there is more security in something that's paying tax dollars in the US to me...

i know if something happens to my CC info on napster or itunes.. they are major companies to correct, or replace it. but if i give my info to some random russian, there isn't as much security in that

everybody uses that site. they have never ripped anyboby off. the u.s. is mad that they are charging too little for the music. you know the us motto

"get rich by any means necessary"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom