Stereo Buzzing

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwiz

MechEng Extraordinaire
Question:
when you wire your sound card through a reciever (headphone jack to RCA) to play on some big speakers, there is typically a buzzing noize when you crank it up. Anyone know how to get rid of that? will getting a card w/ RCA out cure the buzz?

thanks

what speakers are you using
btw. slowly pull the plug out a bit and see if that worked
i had that problem with a laptop and just pulled the power

when you have a lot of converting from one wire to another you introduce a lot of distortion to your system. your best bet is to get a soundcard that has optical-out; connected to a receiver with opitcal inputs (all new receivers have optical inputs..)

maybe the cables you're using are just low quality.

word, i did upgrade the cables and that helped but they still buzzed, optical is probably the way to go. pulling the plug alittle made different noises, but did not help. i thought it might be bad grounding or somthing, i dont really know

any consumer level PCI based sound card picks up computer noise. + the D/A (digital to analog) converter is usually not a good quality=makes more noise. and RCA is unbalanced. so it picks up more noise as the cable length increases. if you can send digital signal to your receiver directly, either coaxial or optical, thats the best way to do.

even my crappy laptop built-in soundcard didn't produce any noise. is it that 60Hz hum/buzz? If so, it's probably a connector issue. If it isn't grounding properly you'll get that sound. It could be the soundcard, yes, but it shouldn't be like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom