SLI configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

leeslangley

Baseband Member
Hi,

Can anybody tell me if when running SLI do I need two cards from the same manufacturer or is there some funky system that syncs the two cards to run with simular clock speeds and all that jazz ?

Umm, not sure, but I think that as long as you run card with the same core and memory clockspeeds, and the same amount of memory, you should be fine. Wait for someone else to just confirm my statement before running off to buy a new 7800GTX! :D I do recommend however to not get SLI, but rather try to sell your card, and get a 7900GTX. Check some reviews where they compare single 7900GTXs against 7800GTXs in SLI. The 7900GTX wins hands down every time. Just my .02

I have been tempted to go SLI but the increased performance of 10 to 20% isn't worth the investment. Junior's recommendation is a good one. My 7900GT in a stock AMD 3500+ system with 2 gigs value ram (not OC'd) runs 3dark05 at over 9000! Two 7800GTX's in SLI will barely make that score!!

For SLi to work you need 2 exact same cards. I read that if you bought say a 6600GT now and then another one it like a years time and tried to use them in SLi it wouldnt work because there is likely to be some change in it. so you would have to buy the same card at the same time.

There is a way to use 2 different cards but this is with crossfire. You can use any ATI cards in crossfire (one of them being the mastercard and other a slave)

My 7900GT in a stock AMD 3500+ system with 2 gigs value ram (not OC'd) runs 3dark05 at over 9000! Two 7800GTX's in SLI will barely make that score!!

SLI you would need the exact same card and manufactuer. ^^ :)

And to my quote, SLI 7800GTX gets aroudn 11000-12000 :confused: :freak: :cool:

single 7800GTX512 is 10800. so 7900GTX512 will go even higher right?
btw...7800GTX512 is really a ghost product after all...its not even in the evga website anymore. mb it was meant to be the beta testing for 7900GTX.

Yikes......................Maybe I should buy that extra 7900GT after all..................nah............I'm good till the G80 series. PZEROFGH. You are running what CPU and is that system OC'd?

They released a SLI driver that allows cards with different amount of memory to work together (ie 256MB w/ 128MB etc.). They must be the same core (a 6800 must have another 6800 to run in SLI, you can't have a 6800 and a 6600 in SLI). I'm not 100% sure about this but I think you can have different manufactured cards, but they both must be at the same clocks I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom