help me build urgent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crysalis said:
unless he knows linux, i wouldn't suggest it to him....

Have you tryed feather? With the GUI It is very Windows like. The hardest part is burning the iso, lol Everyone has to start somewhere.

He may have to find an old soundblaster for it to be supported but more and more onboard soundcards are supported everyday.

ok so ill try and see if i can get hold of a new psu. but in the meantime how do i download feather and how do i burn it to disk? what happens, i dl it,burn to disk, put it in the new build and run it from there? thanks guys for all your help.

Cant remember the details for XP, but will it even fit on a 10G HD? I tried to put it on my 6G HD and it filled up the whole thing.

Even so, 10G with XP will leave little room for music. You'd be better off with win 95 or 98, will leave way more room for music.
(for example, I have 8G of music on my HD)

How old is this motherboard? If its fairly old, some stuff like the memory and cpu may not work on it.....just a thought

did u use the XP that you got with ur dell by any chance? cause they have A LOT of **** ont hat shing, XP usually takes up 4 gigs.

john3 said:
did u use the XP that you got with ur dell by any chance? cause they have A LOT of **** ont hat shing, XP usually takes up 4 gigs.

lol, yeah I did. Thats what I mean, 4G on a 6G HD left little room for anything else.

Is why I suggest a bigger HD....if he plans to dl music, and install any kind of software (for homework etc), the bigger the HD the better IMHO.

thanks. i was told today in pc world that xp can sometimes take upto 8gb. but regardless. i have had a play around with everything and the pc will now startup. once it tries to boot it has nowhere to boot from and asks to set a target to boot from. i have put in it a dvd-rom drive and a cr-rw drive and a 10gig hdd. when i go into the setup screen it says pri ide master; not available. pri ide slave;not available. sec ide master; hl-dt-stdvdromgd. sec ide slave;hl-dt-st gce-8483b. what does this mean, have i set the jumpers up wrong on the devices? moving on, when i have a copy of linux feather on a cd. what do i do, just set the recovery boot priority to dvd rom. and start it up with it in the drive? select hdd format and install?

xp only takes up about 1.5gb's My wife and kids used my old P3 500 with a 14gb for years and they never had a problem. or filled it up. Burn all your media (pictures and movies)to data file cd's and don't store it on the pc, take 5 gibs for music thats about 1000 songs. But when you can for sure buy another hdd, bigger is always better but don't let that influence what OS you are going to use.

Yes, it sounds like you have the jumper on the hard drive set incorrectly. If you take the drive out and look at it, there will be a 'Jumper Legond' either on the label, or moded into the plastic near the jumper pins.

If you are trying to boot from a CD, then go into the BIOS, and change the optical drive to be the 1st boot. From there, I would think it would have step-by-step instructions with the install.

Side note, normaltype, change your sig man... that is WAY too big.

poetry8 said:
thanks. i was told today in pc world that xp can sometimes take upto 8gb. but regardless. i have had a play around with everything and the pc will now startup. once it tries to boot it has nowhere to boot from and asks to set a target to boot from. i have put in it a dvd-rom drive and a cr-rw drive and a 10gig hdd. when i go into the setup screen it says pri ide master; not available. pri ide slave;not available. sec ide master; hl-dt-stdvdromgd. sec ide slave;hl-dt-st gce-8483b. what does this mean, have i set the jumpers up wrong on the devices? moving on, when i have a copy of linux feather on a cd. what do i do, just set the recovery boot priority to dvd rom. and start it up with it in the drive? select hdd format and install?

It takes up that much space on an oem hdd install partition not when you install from a cd. You need to have the hdd on the master ide channel, and set the jumpers for it to master.... put both your disc drives on the secondary ide channel (check on the motherboard or the blue one is primary) make the cdrw the master on the secondary and the dvd rom as the slave. If it doesn't recognize the hdd then you may need to enter the info off the top of the hdd into the bios. cylinders/heads/ etc. A bios update may be available for your board to address this also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom