GFX card install Prob

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonlc1

Beta member
Alright, I did my share of googling and I have to resort to you guys. I will try to describe my problem as carefully as possible. I hope yu guys have the patience to read through all of it.

New Vid Card : EVGA nVIDIA Geforce 6600GT, requires 350 watt power supply

I have a emachines computer I bought that runs on an intergrated video card. It has a nforce2 motherboard chipset and runs on a PHOENIX BIOS(manufacturer of the actual motherboard is by FIC)

SO I bought this card and in order to install it, I have to disable teh integrated video. If I don't disable the integrated video, only a black screen will show up and the computer will not boot up, remaining in the black screen. This is the exact thing thats been happening. However, I went into the motherboard bios and made sure i disabled the integrated video. SO now I don't understand why my new videocard won't work.

Well, then I've thought about it and the ONLY possible thing could be is that my computer's power supply is too low. I have a 300W PSU , when the new GFX card needs at least 350watt power supply. SO maybe the card isn't just getting enough juice to run.

But here's why I am skeptic: When I boot up, I clearly see and feel the FAN of the videocard running. So the card is atleast functioning.
And from what I've heard, even if a card is not adequatley supplied with enough power, it will still operate but just reboot or crash teh computer when it is under intensive activity like running FEAR on high settings. HOwever, my card just doesnt even boot up.

So I'm thinking its the power supply, but then I don't either.

What is your experience(if any) when you guys tried to run a videocard that require more power than what your current PSU can supply?

Seems pretty obvious that if the card requires 350W PSU, and you're only running a 300, that the PSU is clearly the problem.

Don't read too much into the fact that the fan comes on; the PSU is giving it SOME power, but not enough for the card to fully operate.

O DARN! I forgot to mention this very important clue! Ok, so the computer with the NEW videocard actually DID boot up...ONCE! When my windows desktop loaded, naturally the hardware wizard popped up to address the new videocard. However, It froze on that window. So i rebooted my comp. From that point on it always kept giving me black screens.

Hmm, odd that it would work only once, but I'd still bet it's the PSU. Try throwing a 550W in there and see what happens.

Can you return the card if you needed to? Also, the upgraded PSU is probably something you should do anyway, so don't worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom