Extra PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

magouster

Daemon Poster
I have a second PC with a 300W PSU. I had a spare Geforce 6600 lying around and put it in this PC, but the PSU can't handle the extra power demand. Now this might make me seem like a computer cretin, but can I just connect a 250W PSU (which I also have just lying around) directly to the GFX card without it being connected to the Mobo, or will that fry my PC? Sounds silly, I know, but I don't have money now to buy a new PSU. Any help is appreciated! :D

you cant hook up two power supply's.

I would take chances with the 300W PSU, or remove something like CD-ROM from the PC

You can hook up two psu's but you would need some special adapter to turn on the second PSU at the same time your computer turns on. or you can wire the two pins in the 20/24 pin connector. Its like pin 14 and 15 or something

use a wire with stripped ends between the green to one of the blacks

edit be aware that connecting the psu only to the video card isnt wise , as it have a minimum load for each rail , means not enough load = boom

Thats pretty much what I thought, I'll leave it for now, and get a new PSU. Not that I would use it, I just don't want the card lying around doing nothing. My second PC is used for surfing the net anyway, not for games (Athlon 1200, 512MB PC133 SDRAM, 40GB HDD) I know, pathetic little machine! :D

ya thats sounds a little scary. u can use a jumper but the 250 would have a good chance of blowing ur 6600 since it barely takes any extra power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom