win xp in partitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice9

In Runtime
My friend recently set up his win xp in partitions... so he has c d and e drives i think it was. What was the reason for doing this? Also what is the advantage of haveing more then one harddrive in your pc?

More hard drives equals more storage! Also, if you are partitioning one physical drive into other partitions than you can manage files a little easier. Also, Windows treats these as seperate drives even though they are all on 1 physical drive. So, if you had all of your system files on the c partition and maybe some music on the d partition, when you are locating some music on the d partition, the drive needle only attempts to access files from the physical area that the d partition is located on.....faster searches!
Another tip is to place the pagefile (system file that windows uses on the drive to mimic RAM) on it's own partition. So this way, the pagefile never gets fragmented and windows can access this file faster. Does this make sense?

Another common and effective reason......organization!

-Mike

mikesgroovin said:
More hard drives equals more storage! Also, if you are partitioning one physical drive into other partitions than you can manage files a little easier. Also, Windows treats these as seperate drives even though they are all on 1 physical drive. So, if you had all of your system files on the c partition and maybe some music on the d partition, when you are locating some music on the d partition, the drive needle only attempts to access files from the physical area that the d partition is located on.....faster searches!
Another tip is to place the pagefile (system file that windows uses on the drive to mimic RAM) on it's own partition. So this way, the pagefile never gets fragmented and windows can access this file faster. Does this make sense?

Another common and effective reason......organization!

-Mike
everyhting makes sense except Another tip is to place the pagefile (system file that windows uses on the drive to mimic RAM) on it's own partition. So this way, the pagefile never gets fragmented and windows can access this file faster.

Well, think of the pagefile as if it were physical RAM.
Basically, you can add a portion of your hard drive for RAM. The system will use this portion of the hard drive as if it were RAM. The downfall is that it actually uses up a portion of the hard drive. SO, in saying that, you should place the entire pagefile on a seperate drive or partition so that the system may access it exclusively and quicker.

-Mike

whoa sorry to interupt you guys, but i've been seeing a lot of this stuff lately. Ice9 what was the point of qouting mike....i mean....who else were you talking to man?

i think qoutes are being excessivly used for no reason, plus when you qoute someone you only need to qoute a line or two not his entire message :rolleyes:

LOL.....thanks man....just the laugh I needed before I went to bed. I can just picture this guy wavin' his hands in the air "Hold up, hold up!" LOL

-Mike

Without quoting me, did I answer your question?
LOL

BTW I'm not laughing at you, it's the other Mods potential expressions he had on his face....LOL

Hope you understood my post.

-Mike

lol ekÆsine I guess you're right.

mike... yeah you answered my quesiton. thanks

is there really any downfall to not having a paging file? I have 1024 mb of ram and turned mine off. I havnt noticed any fallbacks...

how can i enable/disable my pagefile, can i also increase/decrease the size of it.

i guess the bigger the pagefile, the better my machine will perform, i have got lot of hard disk space. how mcuh should i allocate to the page file

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom