BSOD - WinXP DRIVER_FAULT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmossop

Beta member
Hey there,

My desktop has been operating well for the last 5 months or so, but started getting crashes and BSODs. I started getting random BSOD crashes, a problem with the windows login process and then the safe mode bootup generated a PFN_LIST_CORRUPT BSOD screen. However, I am not seeing these problems anymore and can get into safe mode, but now I am getting a rather consistent (DRIVER_FAULT I think) BSOD crash soon after logging (clicking on the user name in the log in screen) into normal windows boot. I have attached a couple of the minidumps.

Is this really a driver fault problem (and if so, which driver?), or is there something more at fault in the OS installation? Also, can I uninstall software/drivers while in the Windows safe mode, it doesn't seem let me while in safe mode. Any help will be most apprepriated.

Regards,
Phil

Windows XP Pro, SP2
Shuttle XPC ST20G5 (Socket 939)
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego
Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 NCQ 300GB
Mitsumi FA 404M 7in1 USB 2.0 Floppy & Media Drive
Crucial 1GB (2x512MB) DDR PC3200 Ballistix Dual Channel Kit

Attachments

• dump_files.zip
    13.8 KB · Views: 2
try testing one ram module first, with the other one removed, and then test the other one in the same way. try also using memtest, it runs in dos mode it should work better. that way you can find out which of the ram is faulty, or eliminate the ram modules as the problem

Thanks warez, I tested the RAM with memtest and got no errors.

I don't think that this issue was related to heat or bloated/leaky capacitors... so I looked at what I installed recently - ZoneAlarm (and I had the windows firewall already up - don't ask). I managed to uninstall this in safe mode, and restarted and I got no BSOD (yet). If this was caused by software it may make a little sense as windows did crash consistently around 5 secs after getting to the login screen, when some services/software may be loading up. I have attached a section of a Dr Watson log that I received before the BSOD... can anyone make any sense of what it may be indicating? I have read that major issues sometimes start off as smaller errors such as found in this log...

Cheers,
Phil

Attachments

• drwtsn32.txt
    47.7 KB · Views: 44
Update

I started getting the PFN_LIST_CORRUPT exception again (dump) and the following application errors:

Faulting application , version 0.0.0.0, faulting module ntlanman.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x000024f6.

Faulting application winlogon.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module ntlanman.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x000024f6.

Faulting application rundll32.exe, version 5.1.2600.2180, faulting module appwiz.cpl, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x00026a95.

So I retested the RAM and after 23 passes(!) and did get 3 errors (below). Is it almost certain that the RAM is the cause of my errors? I have two sticks of 512 RAM, which one is causing the errors, or will I have to replace both?

Cheers,
Phil

DSC05417.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom