Computer Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

topherus

Baseband Member
I have an AMD K6-III 500 MHz motherboard with 384 Mb SDRAM.
Other than the internet, I use my computer for playing videos and DVDs. Also, I would like to play games. The larger games (DOOM 3, etc.) run choppy as well as the DVDs even though I've modifyed my startup to not load some programs and other non-essential stuff.
1) Would upgrading memory help?
2) Should I upgrade my CPU?
3) Should I trash it and buy a new motherboard bundle?

Also, BIOS doesn't recognize my new 200 G hard drive and would need to buy a PCI card. Good money to bad?

1) not really
2)not worth it
3) ding ding!! just start off fresh.. looks like you can carry over a 200gb hard drive.. how much money you have for upgrading?

so your comp doesn't recognize the HD AT ALL? or it recognizes it smaller?

the K6-III 550 is the fastest cpu that was made for socket 7. there is absolutely no upgradeability here. your only choice is to build a new pc. if you're strapped for cash i suggest basing it around an athlon 3000+, cheap s939 motherboard and a generic 512mb stick of ram. at the very least a sempron 2800+ and an s754 motherboard. i was able to build my grandfather a brand new pc with a sempron 3000+ for around $400 australian.

ya even with a small budget you can totally kill your old comp. just give us a budget, hehe.

oh and nitestick, i didn't know 550mhz was fastest for k6-III; thx for pointing that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom