do you RAID?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cypherotu

Baseband Member
Does anyone here use RAID configurations?
If so which one do you use and does it improve performance.

u only see a significant increase if you are using Raptors, not much difference at all if ur using regualr 7200RPM caviars or barracudas.

RAID 0 with 2*36GB Raptors...dunno if it performs significantly faster as I went straight from a single 7200RPM drive to these two in RAID although looking back I'd probably just get a single 74GB as I don't think RAID makes a significant difference

I will vouch that these are fast and I will never ever ever go back to using 7200RPM disks for a primary drive again as the difference is night and day...some people argue that Raptors aren't worth their price but those people fail to realize you don't buy them for storage space, you buy them for speed, and the speed is there...if you haven't experienced a 10K drive I don't really think you can accurately comment on them, although I'm satisfied with my purchase considering I bought these almost two years ago and I've found the price hasn't really moved on them, and it has been only recently that WD has released the bigger 150 variation

Raid 0 two 7200rpm hdd's

I see the difference a big difference. Especially in loading maps in BF2.. First one there :D cap all the flags then everyone else comes in W-T-F :p

Not sure about raptors :confused:

Big difference for 7200's and raptor. I never thought I'd see a Windows PC running as fast as a SCSI but I'm a believer now. Two Raptor 36gigs in RAID 0.......wow!!!

I used to 7200rpm SATA hard drives in Raid 0, and I didnt notice the hudge perfromance leap I was hoping for.

Next time Im just gona buy one 10000 rpm hard drive.

Can you have two drives in raid configuration and then another for data back up not in the raid?

Yes thats called RAID 0+1

Be carefull, If Im not mistake if one harddrive fails in RAID 1, they both go down....but dont take my word for that

RAID 0+1 is where you create your striped drives (raid 0) and then create a duplicate set of those drives (raid 1)

Raid 0 is the one where one drive droping kills both. Raid 1 is the one where you have one drive mirrored. Both have improved seek times but one has half the space of the other.

My question (badly asked) was can i have two drives in RAID 0 or 1 and then another completly seperate drive used for storage that is not in RAID. Must they all be part of the RAID set?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom