XP's Little-Known 'Rebuild' Command

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
I came across this article while browsing my tech news. Very interesting, and a definate life-saver. It's worth printing out and putting up for when your system bugs completely out

XP's Little-Known 'Rebuild' Command

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=185301251

It usually takes a lot to stop XP in its tracks. Even in those rare cases when the operating system is badly damaged, you'll usually at least have the option of booting into the "Last Known Good" configuration, or to Safe Mode. But sometimes, especially after major hardware failures or part swaps (e.g. moving the operating system to a new hard drive), or after problems with dual- or multi-booting software, you may encounter seemingly intractable errors such as "Missing or corrupt HAL.DLL," "Invalid Boot.Ini," or "Windows could not start..."

I've never heard of that. I've encountered those stupid problems on friends machines (they need to take it easy on their computers...) and usually just reformat (or a repair install, first, if they need data and I'm lazy).

Might have to write those commands on one of my XP backup jewels.

Cool beans.

It was an invalid boot.ini file and instead of using ERD Commander which has always fixed it for me, I tried this command and it worked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom