Fastest Multimedia PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Umm would suggest buying a pre-built one becuase youre probaly not going save a whole bunch of money.ANd I dought he wants to OC a opty becuase he barely knows much about computer as it is.The opty 185 though is a great choice And yes they are tough.I dont think you really need an FX-60, a 4800 x2 would do you fine.2gb will be good.MAybe Windows X64-bit or PRo.

Hi all...great advice!

OK...Let me say that I know something about computers. If 0 is someone who doesn't even know how to use a mouse and a 10 is a guru, I'm probably a 5 or 6. I've installed multiple hard disks, I have replaced a motherboard, family calls me for computer questions, etc. But I'm no where near where most of you guys are however.

So, I probably could build my own if I wanted to put the time into it...which I might.

Let me do some research and start putting together some components and then you guys can let me know if they'd fit together.

Thanks!
TCM

I'm curious...AMD seems to be a popular recommendation. Why does that seem to be more popular with the BYO PC crowd than Intel chips? Are they better, faster, more stable? Are they about the same but better price point?

Thanks!

Hey Slick...thanks for starting me out. And the prices are pretty reasonable.

A cpl of questions:

1. Is the AMD Athlon 64 FX60 Dual Core? Is it the fastest most stable for video capture, editing and rendering? I'm looking for a beast!

2. I assume all the components you listed work together, else you wouldn't have suggested them..correct?

3. Does the motherboard have all I need to keep the system "cool" or do I need to purchase other things?

I have more but let's start with these. Thanks!
TCM

i will answer that one seeing as though i own a intel... amd do more, and generally cost less, everyone likes intel (the un-knowing public)because of the high ghz (which means nothing these days) and because intel is a and i quote "marketing whore"

neweye - Not being "in the know" I need this type of info! If AMD is truly a fast chip for video capture/edit/render despite the "lower" Ghz rating, I'll go that way.

Thanks!

Nice read. You guys sell the AMD pretty well. I'm thinking more and more that I'll go in that direction. But of course knowing myself, it'll take me weeks of research to figure out what I know right now..lol

ill explain it to you like it was explained to me by i think nitestick or gaara or Green Radience one of them

Lets say intel and AMD made highways

Intels highway has 8 lanes with potholes in them, whereas AMD has 4 Lanes and are the cleanest most beautiful highways you have ever seen. Hence AMD gets more across whereas Intel doesnt.

As for the FX-60 yes it is Dual Core, it is not the best, as stated before the Opteron 180 or 185 is better because it can take more than an FX-60. if u can blow about 1k on a CPU i think everyone here would suggest the Opteron 185, AND on top of that when you learn how to Overclock you can get the Opteron REALLY HIGH! they overclock like MAD!

As for the motherboard if u want a powerful PC i'd suggest getting an Aftermarket Heatsink/Fan, i think the Thermaltake Big Typhoon is great.

You'd also need a case with Good airflow ( i suggest the Thermaltake Silver Kandalf, or the CoolerMaster Stacker), and many fans, i think 4 would suffice, 2 exhaust and 2 intake, but you can add more as well. You would also need Thermal Paste ( Arctic Silver 5) for the Cpu, that would make it cooler as well.

I dont know any good Motherboards for Multimedia centers, cause i've just been reading up on General and Gaming computers, but im sure someone else can help you in that department

IF your gonna use WIndows MCE i'd suggest getting more than 2gigs of ram seing as how MCE can actually use more than XP ( XPs limit is 3gigs, more than that it wont use and it will slow it down).

Getting A raptor, like this one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822136011
for Sytem programs, and also like a 500GB Western Digital Caviar for your Storage would be great.

2 Optical drives, i'd suggest the NEC 3550A, its a great one, but if u want to go with an expensive one, i think the Plextor SATA optical drives are good. im guessing they are much faster, but im not sure of the quality seeing as how plextor is the only maker and other companies havent started using it yet, ask around for that.

Im guessing you would want a big monitor.....So i'd suggest, like 003 ( a member) an LG L2000C, its 20.1 ", is that OK? if not and u want something like 30" then i guess you'd have to pik something like a TV that you can connect to your computer, instead getting a HUGE Monitor that would cost $2k instead.

Im guessing you'd want a Wireless Keyboard, look into Gyration they have some nice models. and as for Wireless mouse DEFINITELY the Logitech MX1000, its GREAT! my uncle has it and i've used it, its amazing.

Hope that answers some of your questions.

ADD: I think this is the longest post i've made without like adding pictures or something dumb.

Nice post John3. I just went to the bookstore at lunch and browsed a book titled Build the Ultimate Gaming PC. There is also one titled Build the Ultimate Home Theater PC. The wierd thing is I want a hybrid of the two.

I have a $4,000 budget but about $1000 of that will go to an LCD flat panel. So that leaves $3,000 for the whole PC. So, if I drop $1000 on the CPU that leaves $2000 for everything else. Think I can make it?? I assume I should put most of my $$ in the processor? From there, I assume the video card would be next?

And I know the video card price range from $200 - $3000. I'd be looking in the $500 - $800 range I guess. But of course if there is an ultra fast one out there for less...I'm game!

And John...I LOVE your signature line. I've stared at it for about 20 minutes..lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom