SATA Raid0 Lock Up Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

h8trix

Beta member
I am having some really annoying lockup issues with my Raid and I was wondering if there is anything else I can do before I buy new hard drives.

Relevent hardware/software:

Motherboard: Abit IC7-G
HDDs:
2xSeagate ST380013AS (striped, serial ATA, generation 1)
1xHDD with IDE->SATA converter on the other SATA controller
1xDVDRW Drive on IDE
Ram: 1.5 Gigs
Cpu: 2.8ghz Prescott
Sound: SB Audigy
LAN: Onboard

Bios Flash: Most recent

USB Devices: Logitch G15 mouse, viewsonic keyboard, viewsonic vp201b monitor hub, printer, PDA cradel, gamepad or joystick, memory card reader

Symptoms:

All disk I/O ceases and computer freezes including mouse, games, mp3 music, etc... Some cases the mouse doesn't freeze and just disk I/O freezes. This will happen under any system load levels, but not so much from a fresh boot. Intervals are random, but generally around 5 - 30 minutes between occurences.

Also I have some information coming in from the system event viewer that seems important (it is logged during each lock up):
Warning: Source: Disk -> An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\D during a paging operation.

Error: Source: Si3112r -> The device, \Device\Scsi\si3112r1, did not respond within the timeout period.

Steps Taken:

When I first got the problem I tested the cables, I then formatted because I thought windows was getting too bloated. I got the some problem again so I reformatted and switched my HDs from the Intel SATA Raid controller to the Silicon Image SATA Raid controller (both on the motherboard, but the manual differentiates one as "OnChip" and the other as "OnBoard" if I remember correctly).

Now I am getting the same problem on the Silicon Image controller so I am about to scrap the hard drives.

Other Theories:

I might be overloading the IRQs with USB devices? I noticed when I have so many USB devices plugged in it will change how fast the initial text displays in the bios (the text before it tells you how much memory, but after the video card).

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'd rather not get new HDs, but if I have to I will.

yes, in ports sata1 and 2, tried the other ports as well... drivers are all most recent. Nothing has been updated since 2005 and I did my most recent format this year (downloading the drivers from the internet)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom