Wat the *** is raid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexsabree

Fully Optimized
I always see people saying " this mobo has raid0 and stuff"

Wat the *** is all this raid stuff?

I dont understand a thing on teh subject.

http://www.acnc.com/04_01_00.html

RAID=Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks

the different RAID levels e.g. 0, 1, 0+1, 5 work differently

RAID 0 (striping) is 2 or more drives that are configured as "one", in doing so all data written to the "one" drive is split across them. this massively improves read and write performance because the data is transferred over several controllers. the downside to RAID 0 is that if one drive in the array fails all data is lost

RAID 1 (mirroring) 2 or more drives setup to mirror each other, e.g. 1 drive has all your data and every time you save something it saves identical data to the other drive keeping it backed up in case of failure

RAID 0+1 (mirroring and striping) basically a combination of the previous 2 arrays which provides security and speed. a RAID 0 array is setup to provide high performance storage and a RAID 1 array is used to keep it backed up in case of drive failure

it will work on mobos with raid controllers... (i'm really not sure if thats hardware or software... )

just see in the specs if it says it supports raid

yes its safe.

yes you can take it away.. if your'e using raid 0 then you'd just have to format your drives since it'd just be gibirish on the one drive.. if its raid 1.. i think you can just take one away and continue normally... just guessing tho... since i've never set up a raid config before

if you have 2 indentical hard drives yes its worth it. not worth it if you have an 80gig and a 250gig.. you'll limit your 250gig to an 80 gig.. but if theyr'e the same, the space is still the same, but you get much better performance

Theres no point in RAID 0, unless you want to lose all your data ;)
It gives a performance boost, yes, but a failure in 1 drive will lose data on both.

It's good for video editing and stuff, and you should keep your operating system in someplace else than RAID 0 drives.

RAID 1 is great for backuping, unless a virus or something like that destroys your data. But for a hard drive failure its a great backup method.

alexsabree said:
is it really worth the time?
i mean should i attempt to "raid" my hard drives?
That would be called JBOD, or, Just a Bunch of Disks. It takes multiple physical hard drives and makes your computer recognize them as a single logical drive. It's a neat idea, but it reall cuts performance, and I don't think most integrated RAID controllers support it; you'd probably need a PCI or PCIe x1 RAID controller to pull it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom