major upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rabblerouser

Solid State Member
Right now I have this. :( Thing is...I bought it in January, so I don't want to build a new one already, and I think some parts of it are good enough to use for now.
My friends really want me to play World of Warcraft, and to do so, I need to upgrade. I figure, if I'm gonna play games, why not play more than one? lol
Basically, I want to make it so that I can play games and have them look good for about a year, and if possible, be able to use Vista or something. I'd like to keep it around $1,000, if possible. Since I am on a budget, I don't think I'll need a real nice power supply for overclocking since I heard it can be bad x_x, but I would hate for it to blow up because it's not good enough. I think I'm going to need a 'psu' (I'm assuming I have a bad one.) and definitely a video card.
SO FAR I have in mind:
Psu
video card (if it ever comes in stock)
ram
cpu

Will these fit in the case I have now? I have a keyboard, mouse, speakers, and a 'crt' I could use until I get a new lcd, but is there anything that I have now that doesn't need to be replaced? I have also never opened a computer, so I'm kinda scared to start taking things out and stuff... I just want like a medium-level compy to play WoW with my friends, since I know right now is THE worst time ever to upgrade with so much stuff coming out soon. Please help

Your CPU is a socket 3500+, even though it is a Sempron. It has decent speed. Most games put the majority of the demand on the graphics card.

Your mobo cannot over clock, however. No pre-builts can.

I would take the money for the CPU and get a new mobo and a copy of XP Pro.

The DFI Lanparty Ultra-D is a great mobo, and it overclocks like mad.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813136152

I have no idea what I'm doing, but what I have now does say it has a pci-express slot, whatever that means.

i don't know if that mobo would fit in the compaq case.. i think its a micro atx.. not too sure, but from my experience.. that mobo was tiny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom