Monitor has nothing but squares

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenwood2

Beta member
Hey, im going to fix my friends computer after a nice day at work, she says over the phone that all she see's is squares and triangles on the screen. Before she couldnt even power it on. I'm thinking mother board, just curious as to what you guys would think it is. Thanks!

it's old, i was thinking video card at first, but with the power problem yesterday (unable to boot up) i was therefore leaning towards motherboard.

I have had a video card that went bad and presented the "pink and white checker board of death." It was an ATI 9800 and there was a batch of bad capacitors that made it into several manufacturer's cards. This sounds similar. You might try removing and reseating the cards and plugs from the power supply. That's solved more than one problem for me.

Yea I had the same thing but blue and black boxes , I pulled card thenrebooted, saw on the screen Please connect the power to your ati video card, I checked it looked ok and snug
same thing on another reboot directly after, switched oplugs to another open 4pin asnd all was good again till this day.

the jack seems to have come loose from the power supply box and not the card, it was one of those Ultra-X modular power supplies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom