RDRAM and motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

marinecorp213

Solid State Member
my computer currently uses RDRam which is not that popular and i plan on buying a new motherboard and processor. im not sure if i could use rdram with any motherboard or if it has to be compatible with the type of ram. does anyone know if it has to be compatible with the ram or what kinds of motherboards are compatible with RDram?

RDRAM is older technology, that's not compatible with anything today. It's also freakin expensive. If you want to upgrade get an Athlon64 3200+ socket 939 and an MSI K8N Neo4-F with some corsair value select ram. Preferably 1GB.

if i just got a 2.5Ghz or 3Ghz processor w/o the motherboard would the old motherboard limit how much the 2.5 Ghz processor could do?

Yea the RDRAM would put a little bottleneck. It's just best to get a new motherboard, new cpu and new ram.

chances are, your RDRAM already in the PC is sufficient enough, because in my experience, it runs double the speed than whats installed.

My friends PC has RDRAM, and its very fast....with only 256MB installed.

Rambus is very fast but has insanely high latencys. A good stick of DDR 333 will rape rambus 800.

Also if your board takes rambus its probably socket 423 or a older 478pin so getting a compatable processor will be difficult.

edit: If you have rambus 1066 its about onpar with DDR333.

i have 768 RDRAM and a pentium 4 1500 MHz processor. im not to smart with motherboards so im not sure what information to give you about it so ill just tell what i think u might want to know.
Field Value
Motherboard Properties
Motherboard ID <DMI>
Motherboard Name Dell Dimension 8100

Front Side Bus Properties
Bus Type Intel NetBurst
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 100 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 400 MHz
Bandwidth 3200 MB/s

Memory Bus Properties
Bus Type Dual RDRAM
Bus Width 32-bit
Real Clock 400 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 800 MHz
Bandwidth 3200 MB/s

Motherboard Manufacturer
Company Name Dell Computer Corporation

and in case anyone didnt understand my question before basically im asking if i just puchased a new processor and kept my old motherboard would the motherboard limit the processor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom