ntfs or fat32

Status
Not open for further replies.

poetry8

Baseband Member
hi guys, i have two hard drives in my pc,a 20 gig which is my master hdd then i have an 80 gig but the pc only reads it as 30 gig. the 20gig is fat32 and the 80/30gig is ntfs. while is the better of the two and could this be the reason my pc wont read the other 50gig?

hi again jeremy,im sorry i wasnt tryin to undermine what u said its just one of my friends told me tht it may have had something to do with the format of the hdd. so u are sure there is definately nothin i can do in order to solve this other than buy a new pc? talldude my operatin system is xp. and i think i have the jumpers in the right position,the 20 gig is defo in master,and the 80gig which i took out of my pals pc i believe to be set at sec slave,for some reason wen i put it at slave it would not boot up,but wen i put it to sec slave it booted up and read the hdd?

o and goin back,would there be any major difference or point in switchin the 80gig from ntfs to fat32 or switchin the 20gig from fat32 to ntfs?

poetry8 said:
i wasnt tryin to undermine what u said
i know , i just tought maybe you havnt read it

poetry8 said:
so u are sure there is definately nothin i can do in order to solve this other than buy a new pc?
as i alredy said in the other thread , youll have to get an ide controller card OR a new pc , your choice , its a better idea to get a new one as you really have.. an old junk

poetry8 said:
o and goin back,would there be any major difference or point in switchin the 80gig from ntfs to fat32 or switchin the 20gig from fat32 to ntfs?
fat32 doesnt support files over 4gb while ntfs does , also on ntfs files tend to get less fragmented , overall ntfs is better

poetry8 said:
for some reason wen i put it at slave it would not boot up,but wen i put it to sec slave it booted up and read the hdd?
sounds like a jumper conflict (with the other drive on the ide cable)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom