(o.O) Clicking HD (o.O)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightwalkerxt

Baseband Member
I got a clicking Western Digital 20GB Hard Drive, I still have data on it and I have to get it out somehow, I've read about freezing it, but is this "solution" a one way desition? I mean if I freeze it and it doesn't work it's going to stop working for good, or is the HD still functional after freezing it?

Can it get really damaged by freezing it?

Freezing the hdd?? you mean putting the hdd in the freezer?? If so i dont think that would work, sounds kinda retarded to me. Best thing to do is back up your hdd and get a new one buddy.

freezing is only good as a temporary sokution to get data off a failing hdd. you need to seal the hdd in an anti-static bag and put it in the freezer for a while. this works sometimes because the sound can be caused by the hdd's "arm" striking the platters. freezing it causes the metal to contract and pulls the arm away from the platters

click the
usercp.gif
button above on the left , check pms

Stevo808 said:
Freezing the hdd?? you mean putting the hdd in the freezer?? If so i dont think that would work, sounds kinda retarded to me. Best thing to do is back up your hdd and get a new one buddy.
yes that's what I meant, I just found about that by googling for my problem, but it sounds a bit crazy, don't you think so?

Although the HD seems to get better when I let it cool down for a while...

The question is, if you freeze a HD can it get damaged?... it just doesnt make sense to me for some reason to freeze a delicate electronic device ... =/

I'll try with the recovery programs first though...

nightwalkerxt said:
yes that's what I meant, I just found about that by googling for my problem, but it sounds a bit crazy, don't you think so?

Although the HD seems to get better when I let it cool down for a while...

The question is, if you freeze a HD can it get damaged?... it just doesnt make sense to me for some reason to freeze a delicate electronic device ... =/

I'll try with the recovery programs first though...

Heat makes things expand, cold makes things contract. If the HDD gets hot and the metal expands, things could get messed up.

I have never heard about that, very interesting. How long would you freeze it for?
After power down I would allow the drive to get to room temp first then put it in the freezer. Act fast.

wow. I never know that would actually work, but only for a little while. That is interesting stuff, but getting a new hdd as i said would be the best bet.

Stevo808 said:
wow. I never know that would actually work, but only for a little while. That is interesting stuff, but getting a new hdd as i said would be the best bet.

Well yes, freezing it is only temporary. The point is, is to get the files you want/need off the HDD before it becomes totally inaccessible. Freezing is often a last resort, and usually works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom