internet problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeLeMuNdO!

In Runtime
i'm having some trouble with my internet; whenever i click on Internet Explorer, it doesn't load, it just gives me a blank screen with an hour glass that never finishes. But if i leave that page running and click on Internet Explorer again, the page opens fine, any ideas? i'm running Internet Explorer 6.0 and XP Home.

I'm not sure what could be happening but,

go to C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer and right click on IEXPLORE.EXE

then send to> create shortcut on desktop

this new shortcut should work perfectly and IE will run fine

if it doesn't fix it you could
1)reinstall IE6
or 2) do a system restore on your machine to a time when IE was working

let me know how you get on

hmmmm.....whenever i reboot, it works fine...for a while, then it just starts with the same thing

setting a new icon didn't work.....should i reinstall IE? will it save my favs?

You can back up your Favorites by going to File and then Import and Export. It will save them as a separate file. Then uninstall then reinstall IE and go to Import and Export once again, and IMPORT that file; your favorites will be there.

Try to use other browsers such as Nescape or Opera. If you use Netscape, it will automatically import your favs. I don't know much about Opera but I think it's faster than IE.

Traudong said:
Try to use other browsers such as Nescape or Opera. If you use Netscape, it will automatically import your favs. I don't know much about Opera but I think it's faster than IE.

n00b here! Hi everyone.

I have expirienced this same problem on numerous Machines. If the above shortcut advice dosen't work the culprit is the IE installation. IE tends to get screwed up very easily and you can run other browsers without any issues. Try the uninstall and reinstall with the newest version (try not to use a version of IE from an AOL disc or anything like that.) That should solve the problem.

first thing i would do is run sfc (type "sfc/scannow" at the command prompt) as ie is part of windows and if something is corrupted sfc should fix it, also its not as easy to reinstall ie as some ppl think in xp

By default, Internet Explorer 6 is preinstalled in all versions of Windows XP and cannot be removed. To provide computer manufacturers more flexibility in configuring desktop versions of Windows XP, Microsoft has made it possible for OEMs, administrators, and users to remove user access to Internet Explorer while leaving the Internet Explorer code intact and fully functional to make sure the functionality of programs and operating system functions that rely on it. For example, Windows XP supports an "IEAccess=off" switch in the Unattend.txt file, and Internet Explorer has been added to the Add/Remove Windows Components section of the Add/Remove Programs tool in Control Panel. This does not reinstall Internet Explorer.

read this it explains it all http://www.whitelight.com.au/Support/White+Papers/378.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom