how can I create a popup that appears when someone logs onto a pc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrike

Solid State Member
Kind of a weird question, but I want to create a popup instead of get rid of one. I need a the computer to show a popup window with a message of my choice whenever any user logs on. Nothing fancy, simple text would be fine.
Thanks in advance!
Scott

What operating system are you using?

If you are using NT, 2000, XP or 2003 you can do the following:
Goto the Control panel > Admin Tools > Local Security Policy > Expand Local Policy > Security Options > Goto the policy named "Message title for users attempting to logon". Double click this and enter your title. This will be the header of the pop-up. Then the policy "Message text for users attempting to logon" is the text. Save and reboot.

-Mike

Ok Shrike,

Since you didn't specify what Operating System you are using this
will vary if your not using Windows2000.

1st you need to make a simple html file using notepad. (You can cut and paste the text below)

<html>
<head>
<title>Untitled Document</title>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<script language="javascript">
<!--
var newPopup=window.open("","PopupWindow","height=300,width=300,toolbar=0,status=0,menubar=0,scrollbars=0,resizable=0");
var popContent='<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Advertisement</TITLE></HEAD><BODY MARGINWIDTH=0 MARGINHEIGHT=0 LEFTMARGIN=0 TOPMARGIN=0 BOTTOMMARGIN=0>';
popContent+= 'This is My Computer bug off!!';
popContent+='</BODY></HTML>';
newPopup.document.write(popContent);
newPopup.document.close();
newPopup.focus();
//-->
</script>

</head>

This is my computer bugger off!</p>
</body>
</html>

The text above This is my computer bugger off! is were you can customize it to your own message.

When you save this in Notepad make sure that you select the Save as Type drop down as All Files.

Next you need to make a simple .bat file in Notepad.

cd \Program Files\Internet Explorer
test.htm

Now you need to Schedule a task to run at logon.
Go to Control Panel, Scheduled Tasks, Add New Task,
Browse to the location you saved the .bat file above
Next, Select When I logon, type the username and password
for the account you want the popup to open on. Finish and your done

Link for free popup script
http://www.banmanpro.com/support/popupgenerator.asp

Sorry about that! Using XP pro.

Mike- thanks, worked like a charm!

Worked4me- I'd like to be able to incorporate some of the flexibility of html into the popup, but I need one that will work for every user who logs on. It looked like your setup would only work for the username listed on the task scheduler...or am I wrong?
thanks for the suggestion!

Use can put messages almost anywhere. The one I like is placing a message at the Ctrl-Alt-Del prompt.
I like implementing a message like "The Hard Disk Drive will auto-disable for 24 hours if a correct username and password hasn't been entered within 30 seconds."
I'll reboot the machine for a user and walk away and watch them scurry to log in correctly....LOL

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom