noob overclocking questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emc-Icon

Solid State Member
now.. heres a system that i built about a year and a half ago (so the components arent exactly the best out there...)
and basically i want to overclock it...
but since i dont really know the limits f the components i have.. thought i would just post them up here, cuz you guys are obviously WAY better than me...

(ohh.. and you can talk crap or say something good about my system if you want)

MB: Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe (5 PCI, 1 AGP Pro, 1 WiFi, 3 DDR DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN) (was top of the line back then :p)
chipset: nVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400
Processor:AMD(is teh best) athlon XP 2800 barton
RAM: Geil 256(X2) MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
Video Adapter ALL-IN-WONDER 9600 SERIES (128 MB)
3D Accelerator ATI Radeon 9600 XT (RV360)
200gb harddrives (80gb WD, 120gb maxtor)

anyway..
i have 5 case fans (80mm)
i have the ZALMAN CNPS7000B-CU 92mm 2 Ball Cooling Fan
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118113
oddly enough my temps average ~46c CPU and 29c MB

here are some everest benchmark scores (which seem pretty low..)
mem read 2136 MB/s
mem write 877MB/S
latency PC3200 DDR SDRAM 2.5-4-4-8 130.1 ns

im gonna post 3dmark scores later...

anyway.. if anyone can give me any tips on hw to overclock this system any and all advice is appreciated...

have you read any overclocking guides or FAQ's? What do you want to know about overclocking, specifically? any OC guides will pretty much tell you HOW to overclock....read that stuff first and then come back with more specific questions please.

the only tips I can give you is just to take it slow and don't be in a hurry to max out your OC. do lots of stress testing and benchmarking to really keep track of your progress!

i decided that since i need a walkthrough.. ill just wait till im a LOT more computer poficient till i try this.. to avoid blowing up my extremely stable system...

i havent personally used it but i know it makes a huge diference. but it should for the price of the system

Those phase-change cooling systems cost thousands don't they...like just for the unit itself. But they will get your temps into the negatives I'm assuming.

With the money you save from building your own high end system, a phase change cooling kit, isn't that big of a purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom