Need assistance in deciding between these two PCs (for gaming)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dakhathsk

Baseband Member
Hey guys, I would just like some advice in choosing between these two PCs. My old one ran poorly and I'm looking to get a decent one for around $1200 or less. Here are two I've found so far that seem decent.

Antec 500W Power Supply SmartPower 2.0

Motherboard
ASUS A8N-E NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX Motherboard for AMD Socket 939 CPU

Processor

AMD Athlon 64 4000+ 2.4GHz 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939

Memory

Quantity 2 of Corsair XMS Extreme 1GB (2 x512MB DDR400 Timing 2-3-3-6 (Total 2GB)
or
CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 X 1GB) DDR 400 TIMING 3-3-3-8[-$11.00]

(not sure if the lower timing would be worth the fact that they come in four 512s instead of two 1024? Any input here would be great)

GeForce 7600GT 256MB/128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16

Sony 16X DVD-Rom/32XCD-RW Combo Drive

Or I was considering this PC

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1539656&Tab=2&NoMapp=0

I'm just not sure how much better if at all dual core systems are for gaming. They boast superb multitasking ability, but I would figure that would be for people who work with multiple memory intensive programs at the same time. I have no need to play two games at the same time so would dual core even be worth looking into? I thank anyone who responds for any input you can provide.

Go for the 2x sticks, so you can run it in 1t (better than 2t which it has to run in with 4 sticks.)

I would drop off on the CPU until you can fit the 7900gt into your budget, this will give you better performance.

You will be wasting your money on that pre built. 3ghz on a pentium is not alot. And it comes with a 6600, which is not good enough for gaming really (at higher settings with a good frame rate.)

Timmings matter, but it is up to you, spend the saved money on the higher timmings and get the 7900gt.

He's right, you would completely be wasting your money on that tigerdirect P4 and Geforce 6600. Build it yourself, and you will be very satisfied in the end.

The faster timings will probably only give you around a 5% performance increase or so, but try and find 2x1gb instead of 4x512mb. Some mobos dont even support 4xddr400 dimms.

save up a bit more, maybe get a summer job or something ( if ur a teen like most of us here) and then when the new techs come out, which should be in the summer, see waht u will get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom