PC3200 not running at 400 MHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJYelton

Baseband Member
Memory newb here so be warned :D

I have two 1-Gig PC3200 memory sticks that look like are running only at 333 MHz, and I'm not sure if there is a way to fix the problem in my BIOS and if so how. My motherboard does support PC3200.

Running CPU-Z I get the following statistics:

Frequency: 157.9 MHz
FSB-DRAM: CPU/14
CAS Latency: 2.5 clocks
RAS to CAS Delay: 3 clocks
RAS Precharge: 3 clocks
Cycle Time: 7 clocks
Bank Cycle Time: 10 clocks
DRAM Idle Timer: 16 clocks
Command Rate: 2T

The problem I'm guessing is because my two sticks have different SPD timings. One is 2.5-3-3-6 while the other is 3.0-3-3-8.

Am I stuck at 333 MHz until I can get two sticks with the same timing? If so, would I be better off taking one of the sticks out and going with only 1 Gig of RAM?

Athlon64 3200+ @ 2200 MHz
ePOX nForce4 DDR 8NPA SLI mobo
CPU FSB: 200 MHz
Memory timings currently at 2.5-3-3-7 on Chipset properties
650W PSU
nVidia GeForce 6800 GS
Nothing is overclocked

What else do you need to know?

Check in your BIOS if you don't have a RAM divider running. I thought that u might have had a CPU with a FSB of 333MHz, but obviously you don't, so just make sure about the divider.

Isnt it because it does 2 somethings in 200mhz. its something like that so it is effectively going at 400mhz.

Yes, hence the term Double Data Rata (DDR) memory. The problem is, his "FSB" is running at 200MHZ, but his mem is only at 333MHz instead of the 400 its supposed to be at.

You'd probably have to set the divider to run at a 1:1 ratio in your bios. **** epox boards, cheap ****.

PJYelton said:
Athlon64 3200+ @ 2200 MHz
ePOX nForce4 DDR 8NPA SLI mobo
CPU FSB: 200 MHz
Memory timings currently at 2.5-3-3-7 on Chipset properties
650W PSU
nVidia GeForce 6800 GS
Nothing is overclocked

What else do you need to know?

3200 @ 2200mhz... isn't that overclocked? socket 939 3200 run at 2.0ghz

try it with one stick, then the other stick... see if you get 200mhz with both rams..

I don't see anything about a divider in the BIOS, closest I see is Memory Timing which is set to 2T, but I'm guessing thats not it. Would it be under any other name, or is this not a memory specific setting so might possibly be somewhere else in the BIOS?

I've tried it with both sticks on their own and they both run at 400 MHz just fine. If this turns out to be impossible and I need to get a different memory stick, which one is better to match, the 2.5-3-3-7 or the 3.0-3-3-8 all other things being equal. Or does it matter?

And if my Athlon 64 is overclocked, then thats the way it came from the store because I sure didn't do anything to it :p

if you had to get a different stick then try to match the 2.5-3-3-7

oh and.. i'm curious what cpu-z says about your cpu, etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom