PC Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmoore

Beta member
Had a power outage last night and this morning my computer wouldn't turn on.

I know nothing about the inner workings of a computer and am looking for some guidance.

Ideally I would like to fix my computer, but failing that, I would settle for finding some way to salvage the data I had stored on it.

Any suggestions?

take your hard drive out of you pc and put it in another pc.
or use a IDE to USB convertor and connect your hard drive to this other machine via usb.

So, I can take the hard drive out of the dead pc and connect it to another pc with this IDE to USB converter?

Hey rmoore,

Before removing the HDD --- did you have the computer connected to the outlet with a surge protector? If you did, then check to see if the surge protector did it's job and fried. Of course, the next step would be to plug the computer into the outlet directly and turn it on.

If you didn't use a surge protector, sorry!

Be sure to pick up a surge protector at Wal-Mart or Best Buy. "Belkin" makes great surge protectors. You don't need to spend a fortune. Simply get one that is rated/warranted for slightly above the value of your system. You can look at the voltage protection, but the value of the system protected will give you enough info to know what to purchase.

Hopefully, you won't have to go through this agony again.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom