PC shuts down without notice

Status
Not open for further replies.

anarchon

Solid State Member
Hello all !

So I have a hardware problem with my newly aquired machine..
It just shuts down without notice, ..
At the beginning I thought it might be due to AC power loss or a bad PSU,
I checked in my bios the reboot on Power loss option, but my computer just ignores this setting and remains powered off.

Another odd thing is : when it shuts down my adapter for my wireless mouse and keyboard remains powered. (is not the case when I shut it down normally)

If I run a game like call of duty 2 in highest Graphical mode I can be sure it will be shutdown within 5 to 10 minutes.
It also happend 1 time when I left my pc running for +/- 24 hours.

These are my specs :

Antec NeoHE 500 High Efficiency 500W PSU
A8N-SLI Premium S939 nForce4 PCI-E DDR ATX
AMD Athlon64 3800+ X2 Dual Core S939 Boxed
SoundBlaster X-Fi Elite PCI 24bit Retail NL
MSI nVidia GeForce NX6800GS-TD256E PCI-E 256Mb TV Out & DVI
Lite On SHW-16H5S DVD±RW 16x LightScribe bulk black
Lite On SOHD-16P9S DVD 16/48 bulk black
Zalman CNPS9500 LED
WD Caviar 2500JS : 250 Gb S-ATA II (7200/300-8Mb)
Corsair Twinx 2048MB PC3200 CAS2

So I already used memtest86+ with 1 pass.. I imagine that if there is a problem with the Ram or processor (or Bus in between) the problem should have occured during this test.

I also calculated the approximate amount of Watt I need but I think that i'm quite safe with a 500 W PSU

My next step is to launch 3Dmark2006 and see if it might be a problem with my graphical card..
which i'll do as soon as my download has completed.

Is there any other troubleshooting step I might be able to do?

thanks for helping me out guys.

when it comes to psus its not the wattage one should be looking at , its mainly the amper rating , various psus of same *wattage* have diffrent amper ratings , the antec neohe series simply suck its largely underpowerd on the ampers, that neohe 500w have only 23A on the +3.3v and 17A on the +5v i doubt thats enough for your system , its gotta be the psu or the processor overheating but i bet on the psu , download asus pcprobe2 (click *utilities*)
http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=A8N-SLI Premium
take a screenshot then ill know for sure

I already checked the heating .. and it's cooled at 29 - 31 C°
so you are right.
Ok I'm going to download it !

Ok I attached the screenshot.
What do you think ?

Attachments

• probe.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 47
okay i'll folllow your advise.
I noticed lot's of fluctuations on the V-core while playing a game.
anyway I was browsing some other forums and found a person with the same cpu.. he had this :
CPU Core 1.42 V
+3.3 V 3.31 V
+5 V 5.13 V
+12 V 12.10 V
+5 V Standby 5.09 V

it's clear that I have a Voltage problem :-(

Well I'll fix it asap and let you know if it fixed it.

Jeremy, thanks a lot for your help and if I can help you with more network relates items, let me know.

not entirly true , years ago there were some mobos with very inaccurate sensors , but in *modern* mobos the sensors are accurate nearly as a multimeter , anyway can you honestly say a psu with with amp rating of +3.3V@23A , +5V@17A , +12V1@17A, +12V2@17A can handle those specs above? obviously not

well my take on it aint really based on opinion its based on power consumption of the specs above +3.3V@23A , +5V@17A cant possibly be good enough for those parts, and just to prove my point have a look at newegg reviews youll see that several ppl with similar specs had the same issue with that psu , anyway i didnt say mobo sensors are 100% accurate i just said their more accurate then what they were before and that while a multimeter is indid more accurate its not by much with modern sensors , few months back i stress tested with prime95 and monitored with everest & multimeter at the same time and the truth is the multimeter was just a tinybit more accurate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom