Athlon FX60 vs Opteron 180

Status
Not open for further replies.

magouster

Daemon Poster
I've been to AMD's website, and by looking at the technical specs, both the FX60 and the Opteron 180 looks like its the same thing, except that the Optie is about 220GBP (or 350US$) cheaper! Am I missing something? Why is there never any mention of the Opteron 180 anywhere?

The FX-60 has a fully unlocked multiplier, which really isn't worth the premium they charge you for it IMO

The opteron 180 is clocked at 2.4GHz and the FX-60 is clocked at 2.6GHz as well as the unlockable multiplier. And the FX-60 is targeted at gamers and the Opterons are marketed to server based computers. So they're is some differences. Personally I would rather go with 180 then go for the FX-60 if I was spending that much on a CPU, of course you can always go for a 165/170 and overclock that.

I must have looked at the wrong Optie 180, cause I saw it was running at 2.6. Must have been the 185 then. But even so, how many people overclock with the multiplier anyway? You get a better OC by raising the HTT, or am I wrong? And I know the uses of the Opteron CPUs, its just that if you get to dual core CPUs running at the same speed, why would I pay $350 more to have a unlocked multi, and nothing else? Does the FX60 use better silicone, or use a better architecture? Does anyone know what core the FX60 has, cause there is no mention of it on the AMD website.

The FX-60 uses toledo cores, the opterons use Denmark cores, but Denmark cores and toledo cores are very much same thing with some differences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom