Fastest notebook hard-drive solution ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lion_cub

Beta member
Hi,

I have been looking to buy a reasonably priced notebook for sometime for Music production. However, whilst the specs seem to be getting better for CPUs and the like, the hard drive performance (incl. speed) still seems to be lagging behind. Most hard drives have only speeds of 4200 rpm, which is inferior to an equivalent desktop system.

It seems to me that, you can have the fastest CPU with tons of RAM in a notebook, but if the hard drive is too slow, performance will suffer. Particularly if you are doing a lot of audio work.

Of course, one could always get an external hard drive. But to me, this is defeating the point of having a notebook in the first place.

Any recommendations or suggestions on this issue would be very welcome.

Thankyou

Check around. Many high-performance laptops (the ones you get to choose the options) offer higher RPM hard drives as options.

Of course, highr RPMs equate to shorter battery life...

Usually the standard is 5200rpm, i know a couple who will allow you to upgrade to 7200rpm and even raid 0 your hdd's

pretty soon they are going to be alowing SLI laptops......

Infact I was readin somthing about that.... in CPU magazine.

can any one say watercooled laptops? :D

Trotter said:
Check around. Many high-performance laptops (the ones you get to choose the options) offer higher RPM hard drives as options.

Of course, highr RPMs equate to shorter battery life...

Does it also equate to an over-heating problem ?

Does it also equate to an over-heating problem ?

That is a possibility. But gaming laptops are set up with better cooling than normal lappys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom