Easy Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riggs69420

Solid State Member
I just finished building a new PC. It has the AsusV87X-X motherboard. AMD XP 2400 CPU. I have been collecting the parts for for a couple of weeks now and I had to throw an old hard-drive in it.

They only gave me one IDE cable with the ability to hold two devices.

My question is this...
Is it okay to have my Hard-Drive and my CD-ROM connected on the same IDE cable and port? And/or would it be better for my system if I had seperate cables with the devices connected on seperate ports? Or does it not really matter.

Also, can I use IDE cable from an older PC? I have a few from an old Celeron setup from 1998.

The computer runs just fine I was just starting to clean it up and make sure it is good to go.
Any Help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Personally, i have found it better to have my harddrive on IDE1, and all my other devices on IDE2. That way i find it easier to not need to deal with pins, setting master and secondary etc. But it doesnt really matter.

Yes you can use an old IDE

Thanks

Allright then. Thank you very much. Now I can make use of these cables and get started organizing my case.

Thanks again!

Riggs69420 said:
I just finished building a new PC. It has the AsusV87X-X motherboard. AMD XP 2400 CPU. I have been collecting the parts for for a couple of weeks now and I had to throw an old hard-drive in it.

They only gave me one IDE cable with the ability to hold two devices.

My question is this...
Is it okay to have my Hard-Drive and my CD-ROM connected on the same IDE cable and port? And/or would it be better for my system if I had seperate cables with the devices connected on seperate ports? Or does it not really matter.

Also, can I use IDE cable from an older PC? I have a few from an old Celeron setup from 1998.

The computer runs just fine I was just starting to clean it up and make sure it is good to go.
Any Help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Older cables Why not get the latest you can use,probably 100/66.
Do you have a Computer store in your town ?
Anyway use the ends for hd's and the center for cdroms.
You can up to 4,of your choice.
Windows should be on Primary Master.
:D

You can definatly put a Cd rom on the same cable as a hard drive.
The problem with doing so is that you cut the access times between your hard drive and everything else in half if not slow it down even more than that. This is because CD Roms run at 33/mps, Burst and HDD's run at up to 133. so yeah you can but if you do you will be narrowing the worst bottle neck in your computer.

How than

Cajun Tech said:
You can definatly put a Cd rom on the same cable as a hard drive.
The problem with doing so is that you cut the access times between your hard drive and everything else in half if not slow it down even more than that. This is because CD Roms run at 33/mps, Burst and HDD's run at up to 133. so yeah you can but if you do you will be narrowing the worst bottle neck in your computer.

Do you recommend setting up 2 hd/s and 2 cdroms ?
Something gotta give,right ?
:confused:

Place both CD-ROMs on the Secondary IDE controller and the two hard drives on the Primary IDE controller.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom